Mar 15, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
While we hold the line and await on word of the U.S. players in injury limbo, a couple of notes on next week’s World Cup qualifier at DSG Park outside Denver:
- U.S. Soccer will announce the roster Monday morning. I spoke to U.S. officials in Chicago this morning; they are still nailing down the time. (Yes, waiting until players arrive to announce a roster is frustrating, especially since the other CONCACAF countries have already done so. But this has been the way under Jurgen Klinsmann for going on two years now. So, nothing new here.)
- Players begin arriving Sunday; several important ones, including Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey (pictured), play on Sunday. So they will not arrive into Denver until Monday evening, earliest.
- Aston Villa plays Saturday (a relegation “six pointer” at home vs. Queens Park Rangers). Lots of U.S. eyes will be on that one; Brad Guzan, you know.
- The game is sold out; has been for weeks now.
- Early weather reports call for cloudy and cold – but note bitterly so, and with only a slight chance of some nasty wet stuff. Forecasted high that day is 45, with a low of 30.
- All U.S. fans get a scarf! To help promote Nike’s new centennial kit, all fans will receive a free, special edition game-specific scarf. It’s part of a collection of U.S. Soccer fan events attached to this match.
- This is probably the biggest match ever to land at the six-year-old facility a few miles outside of Denver. Dicks Sporting Goods Park did land one other sweet plum, the 2007 MLS All-Star contest, notable for David Beckham’s first public appearance as an official MLS pitch man. Beckham had just arrived in Los Angeles, having been signed earlier that year.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:26 AM EST
Joe Prince-Wright and Mike Prindiville discuss this weekend’s meeting relegation-embattled Cardiff City and Fulham.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:12 AM EST
What definitely will not happen in the upcoming Major League Soccer season.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? It’s all change in the latest PL Power Rankings, as sides shuffle with 10 games to go:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
The Supporters’ Shield winners could be without Henry, Cahill, and Olave on Saturday in Vancouver.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:39 PM EST
Atlanta will have to stumble to miss out on expansion, with Minneapolis also looking like a favorite to snare on of the league’s next franchises.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
No. 1 was easy. It’s 2 through 10 that were hard.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Nigeria will help the U.S. prepare for Brazil.
Mar 6, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
The Black and Red give their newest star the deal Seattle couldn’t.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Can the Baggies seal an unlikely double over United? Watch live on NBCSN, Saturday, 7:45 a.m. ET:
Mar 6, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
With the 2014 season just a few days away, here is the full MLS on NBC TV schedule:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Southampton’s star man shone for England once again, as many clamber for Lallana to start this summer in Brazil:
Mar 6, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Injured and unfit to play in the Premier League, what in the world were the Cottagers thinking shelling out a club record $20 million for damaged goods during a relegation battle?
Mar 6, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Fortunately West Brom is playing United, who have proven themselves capable of dropping the ball against the most measly of opponents.
Jurgen Klinsmann says it would’ve been “half a miracle” if U.S. clicked vs. Ukraine, USMNT missed MLS contingent
Mar 6, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
Remember one thing before analyzing the USA’s defeat to Ukraine… half of the usual squad weren’t available for selection.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 AM EST
Arsenal star injured on England duty, after playing on despite suffering early injury:
Mar 6, 2014, 10:27 AM EST
Horror tackle hands Vietnam international defender Tran Dinh Dong record ban:
Mar 6, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Super Mario set to turn up at Stamford Bridge?
Mar 6, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Young child runs onto pitch, but instead of being escorted away… the Brazilian national team give him a moment to remember forever:
Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 AM EST
With game time dwindling with the Red Devils, Chicharito may move on:
Mar 6, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Miguel Herrera welcomed his European-based talent back into the team on Wednesday night.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season