Mar 15, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
While we hold the line and await on word of the U.S. players in injury limbo, a couple of notes on next week’s World Cup qualifier at DSG Park outside Denver:
- U.S. Soccer will announce the roster Monday morning. I spoke to U.S. officials in Chicago this morning; they are still nailing down the time. (Yes, waiting until players arrive to announce a roster is frustrating, especially since the other CONCACAF countries have already done so. But this has been the way under Jurgen Klinsmann for going on two years now. So, nothing new here.)
- Players begin arriving Sunday; several important ones, including Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey (pictured), play on Sunday. So they will not arrive into Denver until Monday evening, earliest.
- Aston Villa plays Saturday (a relegation “six pointer” at home vs. Queens Park Rangers). Lots of U.S. eyes will be on that one; Brad Guzan, you know.
- The game is sold out; has been for weeks now.
- Early weather reports call for cloudy and cold – but note bitterly so, and with only a slight chance of some nasty wet stuff. Forecasted high that day is 45, with a low of 30.
- All U.S. fans get a scarf! To help promote Nike’s new centennial kit, all fans will receive a free, special edition game-specific scarf. It’s part of a collection of U.S. Soccer fan events attached to this match.
- This is probably the biggest match ever to land at the six-year-old facility a few miles outside of Denver. Dicks Sporting Goods Park did land one other sweet plum, the 2007 MLS All-Star contest, notable for David Beckham’s first public appearance as an official MLS pitch man. Beckham had just arrived in Los Angeles, having been signed earlier that year.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe bring you plenty of analysis on the summer transfer window’s Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Passing or failing? Take a gander at how each Premier League team fared.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Falcao signs for United, arrives on loan from Monaco with view to a permanent transfer.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Manchester United’s Danny Welbeck went away to London for international break, and won’t return to the club after sealing a move to Arsenal.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Nantes, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa are all surprising early-season teams, and Americans are playing big roles in each club’s success.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The biggest confirmed transfers on Deadline Day including Premier League teams.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
If Andre Villas-Boas thought Emmanuel Adebayor was hard to handle, wait til he gets a load of this American character.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Alderweireld arrives on loan, as Mane deal agreed.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Negredo leaves City, heads back to Spain to play for Valencia.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Watch live online, right here.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Hull busy on Deadline Day as Ramirez join on loan, Ben Arfa could follow, late on Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
In the words of NHL commentator Rick Jeanneret, roll the highlight reel for Ibra, Cavani and PSG, and the lowlight reel for one poor keeper.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Not a huge risk for Arsenal, but certainly a good bit of business for United. Could Welbeck become the next Daniel Sturridge?
Sep 1, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Jermain Defoe, Danny Welbeck and Hatem Ben Arfa all make one last run through the rumor mill as the deadline draws near.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
McArthur and Fryers arrive at Selhurst Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The Dutch international rejoins his World Cup boss for four seasons at “the biggest club in the world.”
Sep 1, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
What originally was thought to be a steal is turning out to be quite a hit to Manchester United’s wallet.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
AC Milan made the terrible mistake of confirming a deal before it was complete, and now they’re forced to rescind their confirmation.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Time running out for U.S. national team star to seal his move away from Stoke.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Spurs could be back in for Rodriguez, as third bid made for England international.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 0
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 0
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 4
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0