Mar 16, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT
Gareth Bale has enjoyed the season of his life for Tottenham Hotspur and is the front-runner for the prestigious Player’s Player of the Year award. With the ballots out and his peers voting, it seems that his only serious contender for the award is former, north London rival and Red Devil top goal scorer, Robin van Persie.
As a player, individual awards are nice on the shelf but quickly forgotten when compared to medals, just ask RVP, who moved to Manchester to quench that desire. A move that increasingly looks like paying off with a Premier League title.
Bale 23, who is six years younger than the Dutchman has that same type of hunger and is quickly coming to the realization that while Tottenham is a great club to play for, the chances of consistent silverware are remote unless you can count on the occasional cup run.
With the campaign in the final stretch, the rumors on where he may begin next season are heating up. Real Madrid has been offered as a possible destination however players from the British Isles that have succeeded on the continent, can all but be counted on one hand. If Bale is to move, it’ll be to a Premiership rival and Manchester United have become favorites to gain his signature.
Tottenham have been quick to attached an exorbitant sum of money on their crown jewel according to the Express asking for an eye watering 70 million pounds which would make Bale the 2nd most expensive player ever after Cristiano Ronaldo should such a transfer come about.
If Bale continues his sizzling form and takes Spurs to Europa League glory and qualification to next year’s Uefa Champions League, expect that number to keep growing.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3