Mar 16, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
The visiting Colorado Rapids will surely be disappointed to lose a late lead at their Rocky Mountain Cup rival – not to mention the sloppy defensive work that led to Alvaro Saborio’s equalizer.
But make no mistake, this was a very good result for the Rapids, who earned their first point this year in a 1-1 draw at Rio Tinto Stadium.
A club already missing vital starters Pablo Mastroeni, Edson Buddle, Martin Rivero and Jaime Castrillon lost its starting goalkeeper. That’s close to half the Oscar Pareja’s starters. Add in high quality center back Drew Moor, and that’s pretty much the heart of the side.
So gaining a draw in Utah against their chief rival is a wonderful result.
Again, Pareja (pictured) will rue his defense’s inability to clear a ball before it eventually pinged around and found its way to Saborio on the equalizer. And Atiba Harris had a wonderful chance to grab a late game-winner for the Rapids. Still … Colorado will feel a lot better about this one than RSL.
Rookie Clinton Irwin did well in his replacement duty in Colorado goal, by the way, not a bit afraid to get off his line to claim a ball. His positioning on a couple of sequences looked a little too aggressive, but that’s a small adjustment. Overall, the rookie did great in his debut MLS appearance.
The highlights from Rio Tinto:
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public