Mar 16, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
The visiting Colorado Rapids will surely be disappointed to lose a late lead at their Rocky Mountain Cup rival – not to mention the sloppy defensive work that led to Alvaro Saborio’s equalizer.
But make no mistake, this was a very good result for the Rapids, who earned their first point this year in a 1-1 draw at Rio Tinto Stadium.
A club already missing vital starters Pablo Mastroeni, Edson Buddle, Martin Rivero and Jaime Castrillon lost its starting goalkeeper. That’s close to half the Oscar Pareja’s starters. Add in high quality center back Drew Moor, and that’s pretty much the heart of the side.
So gaining a draw in Utah against their chief rival is a wonderful result.
Again, Pareja (pictured) will rue his defense’s inability to clear a ball before it eventually pinged around and found its way to Saborio on the equalizer. And Atiba Harris had a wonderful chance to grab a late game-winner for the Rapids. Still … Colorado will feel a lot better about this one than RSL.
Rookie Clinton Irwin did well in his replacement duty in Colorado goal, by the way, not a bit afraid to get off his line to claim a ball. His positioning on a couple of sequences looked a little too aggressive, but that’s a small adjustment. Overall, the rookie did great in his debut MLS appearance.
The highlights from Rio Tinto:
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear