Mar 16, 2013, 10:41 PM EST
If you are not impressed yet with the second-year Montreal Impact, then you aren’t paying attention.
Marco Schallibaum’s club has three wins in three matches this year, including two on the road and a sweet victory in Saturday’s home opener. That’s no fluke.
Things got pretty raggedy in the second half of Saturday’s 2-1 win over Toronto, as the visiting Reds got a goal after the break to half the deficit and pressed hard for the equalizer.
In the end, all the hard work from captain Davy Arnaud and central midfielder Patrice Bernier (not to mention the well-taken finish from Marco Di Vaio) was enough to see Montreal open with a perfect nine points from a possible nine.
Now, prepare to be even more impressed – because the Impact players were not happy with things. From Schallibaum:
I saw the players. They are not happy. That’s a good sign, also. Because they know it wasn’t good, the second half. But we won. When I go inside [the locker room] and say, ‘Hey guys, we have three points. That’s good’ But I see the guys, they are not happy. That’s a good sign.
There is a bit of concern, as veteran Italian defender Alessandro Nesta went off injured in the first half. We’ll watch that one.
As you watch the highlights, note that it’s Bernier’s swell ball out of midfield that creates the penalty kick – which Bernier nails.
Full highlights from Saturday’s match:
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)