Mar 16, 2013, 1:27 PM EST
The ambition of Liverpool FC is to return to former glories however those former glories feel so long ago they might as well have happened in the era of black and white TV.
The club had been on decent run before they visited struggling Southampton at St. Mary’s but consistency has bedevilled them all season and losing 3-1 to bottom dwellers is unacceptable. Brief moments of belief get crushed by heady doses of realism and that realism must begin with the manager, Brendan Rodgers, who often views matches completely differently to 99.9% of the population.
Coming into this ‘must win’ and aren’t they all at this stage Rogers was stating that a top four position wasn’t out of the question for his team.
Now I know that as a manager you have to show optimism but when you’re relying on other clubs to screw up so you can succeed, you’re not thinking clearly.
The Liverpool hierarchy have given Rodgers almost carte blanche to build a club that can compete but in all honesty he’s failed and he continues to fail. He was given the job too early. He’s not ready for a position that quite frankly is one of the top ten coaching jobs in world football.
Rodgers is on a three-year deal at Anfield but I cannot see him fulfilling that. What the Reds should do is hire the Dutchman, Guus Hiddink. Here is a man with the resume, the pedigree and the sense of history that would be a perfect fit for the ever demanding Kop.
Liverpool and Rodgers are now seven points away from Uefa Champions League qualification. They have played two matches more than 4th placed Chelsea. Losing to Southampton is such abject fashion as a disaster, plain and simple.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0