Mar 17, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
The Premier League rightly prides itself on being the toughest in the world. It’s physicality is legendary and it’s not for the faint hearted.
Callum McManaman in his first start for Wigan Athletic would certainly have been up for it and the adrenaline would’ve been pumping however there can be no excuse for this challenge which might have ended the career of Newcastle’s Massadio Haidara.
If you’re too squeamish to watch the video here’s the basic description. McManaman launched himself at top speed, studs first and planted his foot squarely on Haidara’s knee.
Incredibly referee Mark Halsey didn’t see a thing as he must have been wearing blinkers. No doubt the Football Association will take a good look at the video of the tackle which gets worse with each viewing.
On the Magpies bench, John Carver assistant to Alan Pardew was so incensed that his verbal volley at Halsey earned him a red card.
Haidara was taken to hospital and the diagnosis isn’t great. “It looks like knee ligaments and bad bruising is the best we can hope for,” said Pardew. “It is not going to be good because the tackle was so bad.”
This isn’t the worst challenge I’ve ever seen, Roy Keane on Alf inge Haaland takes that biscuit but it is right up there.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)