Mar 17, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
The Premier League rightly prides itself on being the toughest in the world. It’s physicality is legendary and it’s not for the faint hearted.
Callum McManaman in his first start for Wigan Athletic would certainly have been up for it and the adrenaline would’ve been pumping however there can be no excuse for this challenge which might have ended the career of Newcastle’s Massadio Haidara.
If you’re too squeamish to watch the video here’s the basic description. McManaman launched himself at top speed, studs first and planted his foot squarely on Haidara’s knee.
Incredibly referee Mark Halsey didn’t see a thing as he must have been wearing blinkers. No doubt the Football Association will take a good look at the video of the tackle which gets worse with each viewing.
On the Magpies bench, John Carver assistant to Alan Pardew was so incensed that his verbal volley at Halsey earned him a red card.
Haidara was taken to hospital and the diagnosis isn’t great. “It looks like knee ligaments and bad bruising is the best we can hope for,” said Pardew. “It is not going to be good because the tackle was so bad.”
This isn’t the worst challenge I’ve ever seen, Roy Keane on Alf inge Haaland takes that biscuit but it is right up there.
- FA Cup preview: Wembley trips on the line as Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool shoot for semis 0
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 3
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 3