Mar 17, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT
It is not difficult to find someone around MLS with the opinion that Rivalry Week, for all its attached awesomeness, arrived a little early.
It’s like a big, juicy, steak with perfect grill lines – but one served up a mere three hours after a huge lunch. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the product; it’s the timing that’s off.
MLS rivalry week in Round 3 of 34?
It is only March, after all.
Not everyone shared the opinion. And honestly, it didn’t bother me very much going in. While it might be nice to have this play out toward the back end of the record long regular season window, the playoff races typically carry September and October. Or that was my theory.
Looking at some of the crowd counts around the league on the first attempt at Rivalry Week, there’s some evidence that perhaps the timing could be better.
Crowds were fantastic in Montreal and Seattle. The grounds were full in Utah for Real Salt Lake’s Rocky Mountain rivalry.
On the other hand, plenty of dandy seats were available in Philadelphia (in fairness, a crowd of 15,689 in lousy weather wasn’t bad at PPL Park), New York and Dallas. Same for the game going on right now at the Home Depot Center outside Los Angeles.
Perhaps the season needs to steep a little more before we go biting into all the delicious acrimony and hostility of the league’s chief rivals. Applause to MLS for trying something. This is only the first spin of the Rivalry Week wheel. They deciders will have plenty of opportunity to adjust.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 2
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PBT: Spurs rally to beat Grizzlies in OT, take 3-0 lead
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile