Mar 17, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
It has been said that managing the England national team is ‘an impossible job’ and after watching this fascinating show, you will probably agree with me.
Roy Hodgson, the current incumbent certainly knows what former manager, Graham Taylor went through as he deals with his own problems concerning the recall to the squad of Rio Ferdinand.
On Friday I wrote a piece entitled ‘footballing reasons‘ that attempted to make sense of the situation however 2 days is a lifetime in football.
Ferdinand’s manager at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson chucked an unexpected wrench in the works by hinting that his centerback had not been sounded out by Hodgson for a recall and that maintaining his fitness for the Red Devils was priority number one.
Ferguson said on Friday: “The issue is not that [the amount of games], the issue is his whole preparation for football today. It involves treatment, it involves rest, it involves heavy days followed by some light days followed by some easy days.
Then yesterday when asked if Ferdinand would be in the England squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers versus San MArino and Montenegro, he told ESPN: “Yes.
Poor Roy Hodgson, he extends the olive branch, has it snapped and then handed back to him.
It has been said before that Sir Alex Ferguson has an unhealthy influence on the selection of players to national teams with the English set up being hit particularly hard by the Scotsman over the years. What do you say?
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season