Mar 17, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
It has been said that managing the England national team is ‘an impossible job’ and after watching this fascinating show, you will probably agree with me.
Roy Hodgson, the current incumbent certainly knows what former manager, Graham Taylor went through as he deals with his own problems concerning the recall to the squad of Rio Ferdinand.
On Friday I wrote a piece entitled ‘footballing reasons‘ that attempted to make sense of the situation however 2 days is a lifetime in football.
Ferdinand’s manager at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson chucked an unexpected wrench in the works by hinting that his centerback had not been sounded out by Hodgson for a recall and that maintaining his fitness for the Red Devils was priority number one.
Ferguson said on Friday: “The issue is not that [the amount of games], the issue is his whole preparation for football today. It involves treatment, it involves rest, it involves heavy days followed by some light days followed by some easy days.
Then yesterday when asked if Ferdinand would be in the England squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers versus San MArino and Montenegro, he told ESPN: “Yes.
Poor Roy Hodgson, he extends the olive branch, has it snapped and then handed back to him.
It has been said before that Sir Alex Ferguson has an unhealthy influence on the selection of players to national teams with the English set up being hit particularly hard by the Scotsman over the years. What do you say?
- Three MLS sides chasing Carlton Cole? 0
- Champions League final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 8
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte