Mar 17, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
At Stamford Bridge in a heated London derby, Chelsea superstar and former West Ham idol bit the hand that used to feed him and scored against the club where his dad, Frank Lampard Sr was a legend and where he began his own storied career.
Scoring goals is nothing new for junior though however this one was a little more special.
It was number 200 for the Blues which puts him just 2 goals behind Bobby Tambling’s club record of 202.
Over the course of 519 starts for West Ham, Swansea and Chelsea in the league, Lampard has scored at a breathtaking rate for a midfield player. That total now stands at 163 and counting. Throw in another 77 scored in various league and cup competitions and we’re talking about the most prolific goal scorer in the history of English football for a player of his position.
The reason for Lampard’s success has been simple. Work rate, the ability to strike the ball beautifully with either foot and that unique knack of arriving in the box at just the right time.
His resume is second to none and with rumors continuing to surface about a possible move to the LA Galaxy, American crowds could soon see why Super Frank has been one of the first names on the England team for the last 13 years.
His contract is up at the end of the year and Chelsea initially said that they would not be renewing it but with Lampard showing no signs of slowing down, the move to Los Angeles may have to wait for one more year.
For those of you who admire Super Frank here are 100 of his best.
His only other rival as the best English midfield player of the generation, Steven Gerrard, so I ask you. Who was the best…?
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs (video) 1