Mar 17, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Who would be a referee?
Have an off day and the players hate you, the managers loathe you and 50,000 supporters get to abuse you.
Your parentage is questioned, you eyesight ridiculed and the chant of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ is sung with fanatical glee. On the other hand, when you do a good job nobody notices!
Chris Foy understands the latter perfectly after he had the shocker of shockers when officiating Sunderland and Norwich today at the Stadium of Light.
He blew three calls that had game changing implications much to the annoyance of Canaries boss, Chris Houghton as his club took the short straw every time.
1. Sending off goalkeeper, Mark Bunn in the 30th minute was beyond harsh. It was such a bang-bang incident with zero intent that you have to wonder if he’d already made up his mind that Norwich would play with 10.
2. Agreeing with his assistant that Norwich defender, Sebastien Bassong had deliberately handled the ball after cushioning it off his chest to give the Black Cats a penalty and their equalizer.
3. Denying the Canaries a clear penalty when Danny Rose handled in the Sunderland box and deciding the offence had occurred a foot outside the penalty area.
It’s understandable that referees can have a bad day at the office but to get three decisions so wrong should see him demoted to handling subs and holding the board signaling additional time.
Anyone for instant replay…?
Oct 1, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
To expect a walk-through against Krasnodar would be a mistake and one the Toffees could pay dearly for.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
It’s been a rough go of it lately for Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Who’s more interesting than Jurgen Klopp?
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Alves is ready to move to the Premier League. So what clubs might he fit in?
Oct 1, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
A great deal for the Revs, who will be able to add Sporting players on loan much like NYCFC can add Manchester City players.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Maradona pledged his support for the Palestinian cause back in 2012.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Liverpool’s struggles continue. Here’s three things we learned as they remain winless in four.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
Take in a top-flight football match anywhere in Turkey and you’ll be hard-pressed not to see at least a few flares among the fans.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
After eight games on Wednesday, here’s what happened around Europe.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Gunners provided one of their most stunning performances of the season on Wednesday, dismantling Group D opponents Galatasaray 4-1.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Lackluster Liverpool now level on points with Basel, face Real Madrid in next two matches.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
“He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Danny Welbeck, he scores when he wants.”
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
A first-half brace from Danny Welbeck and a third from Alexis Sanchez handed Arsenal some breathing room against Galatasaray.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Arsenal are flying, so too are Leverkusen. Check out all the half time scores, here.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The Gunners opened the Champions League group stage in disappointing form, losing 2-0 to BVB.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Can the Reds make it two wins from two in the Champions League?
Oct 1, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Zenit, Monaco remain top of Group C after a dour draw in Saint Petersburg.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Thierry Henry may be on his way out of New York City as turmoil at the top could drive him out.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The two sides had some internet fun after yesterday’s 1-1 Champions League draw.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The former president of CONMEBOL told Uruguayan TV that Suarez could return earlier than expected.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1