Mar 17, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Who would be a referee?
Have an off day and the players hate you, the managers loathe you and 50,000 supporters get to abuse you.
Your parentage is questioned, you eyesight ridiculed and the chant of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ is sung with fanatical glee. On the other hand, when you do a good job nobody notices!
Chris Foy understands the latter perfectly after he had the shocker of shockers when officiating Sunderland and Norwich today at the Stadium of Light.
He blew three calls that had game changing implications much to the annoyance of Canaries boss, Chris Houghton as his club took the short straw every time.
1. Sending off goalkeeper, Mark Bunn in the 30th minute was beyond harsh. It was such a bang-bang incident with zero intent that you have to wonder if he’d already made up his mind that Norwich would play with 10.
2. Agreeing with his assistant that Norwich defender, Sebastien Bassong had deliberately handled the ball after cushioning it off his chest to give the Black Cats a penalty and their equalizer.
3. Denying the Canaries a clear penalty when Danny Rose handled in the Sunderland box and deciding the offence had occurred a foot outside the penalty area.
It’s understandable that referees can have a bad day at the office but to get three decisions so wrong should see him demoted to handling subs and holding the board signaling additional time.
Anyone for instant replay…?
Oct 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
So who do you have tonight: the Red Bulls or the champs?
Oct 30, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Mike Prindiville and Joe Prince-Wright join Jenna Corrado to discuss the Manchester Derby between Manchester United and Manchester City.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
Like Steve McQueen in “Papillon,” only nattily-attired, the Newcastle United manager just seems to be constantly yelling out, “Hey… I’m still here.”
Oct 30, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
He’s being linked with Swansea City, though club chairman Huw Jenkins said while the club is entertaining investors, any specific names would be “pure speculation.”
Oct 30, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The proposed moves would leave only 10 days prep time before the World Cup began, and would also alter the UEFA Champions League schedule.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
What do you think? Mean-spirited to the public or just a decent Candid Camera-style prank?
Oct 30, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
“I’ve got 30 and 34-year-olds in my locker room in tears because we feel it’s been unfairly taken away from us,” said coach Carl Robinson.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
And it’s claimed that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will sign a veteran back from Juventus, bucking his trends of signing attackers and youth.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
PSS Sleman and PSIS Semarang have been disqualified from their country’s playoffs after conceding five own goals in their their match.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
Michel converted the penalty past David Ousted, and FC Dallas hung on for the win in an otherwise fast-paced, fun game in Texas.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Carlos Vela is set to return to the Mexican National Team making them a much more dangerous side.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Nothing like a behind-the-scenes World Cup doc to pique the interest.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Vincent Tan. Coming to a MLS club near you!
Oct 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Steve Zakuani. A supremely talented player, forced to call it quits way too early.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Franck Ribery is short but probably not the kind of guy you want to mess with.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
A late equalizer from Mario Balotelli helps spur the rally that sees Liverpool into the League Cup quarter-finals.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Add another Arsenal attacker to the roster.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Beware, Premier League footballers. The FA is all over Twitter.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Raul signs with the Cosmos, will head up the youth program upon retirement.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Mandzukic makes a meal of it and the Royal Spanish Football Federation eats it up.
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 5
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 2
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0