Mar 17, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
Who would be a referee?
Have an off day and the players hate you, the managers loathe you and 50,000 supporters get to abuse you.
Your parentage is questioned, you eyesight ridiculed and the chant of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ is sung with fanatical glee. On the other hand, when you do a good job nobody notices!
Chris Foy understands the latter perfectly after he had the shocker of shockers when officiating Sunderland and Norwich today at the Stadium of Light.
He blew three calls that had game changing implications much to the annoyance of Canaries boss, Chris Houghton as his club took the short straw every time.
1. Sending off goalkeeper, Mark Bunn in the 30th minute was beyond harsh. It was such a bang-bang incident with zero intent that you have to wonder if he’d already made up his mind that Norwich would play with 10.
2. Agreeing with his assistant that Norwich defender, Sebastien Bassong had deliberately handled the ball after cushioning it off his chest to give the Black Cats a penalty and their equalizer.
3. Denying the Canaries a clear penalty when Danny Rose handled in the Sunderland box and deciding the offence had occurred a foot outside the penalty area.
It’s understandable that referees can have a bad day at the office but to get three decisions so wrong should see him demoted to handling subs and holding the board signaling additional time.
Anyone for instant replay…?
Mar 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
From 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, watch the “Invincibles” documentary live online.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Olivier Giroud atoned for his misses midweek with the game’s only goal as Everton had little to offer.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
The Reds put in a stunning display, as City stumble yet again.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:01 AM EST
Copycat! A repeat of Jordan Henderson’s earlier strike saw the Brazilian down Manchester City late again, reminiscent of last year’s match.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:51 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened things up with a fabulous strike, and Philippe Coutinho copied the script with the late winner.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Per Mertesacker has been dropped following Arsenal’s Champions League disappointment midweek.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:59 AM EST
On Premier League Live, Robbie Mustoe says he believes Arsenal need a change at the top, a move that would surely send shockwaves throughout English soccer.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:33 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened the scoring at Anfield with a stunning goal inside 15 minutes.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers starts with Raheem Sterling up front, but plenty of changes along his teamsheet.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
18 teams in 13 games to wrap up the 2015 MLS preseason. Your one-stop shop for all the day’s action.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:29 PM EST
As they say, that ball stayed hit.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EST
Forget the performance, all John Carver cares about is the three points. Sometimes that’s how it is.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Dyke’s frustrated at the resistance to even explore and experiment with technological aids, and he’s 100% right to be.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
The top of the Championship is as tight as it’s ever been. With only three spots to come up, who’ll be in the Premier League next year?
Feb 28, 2015, 6:04 PM EST
Barcelona keep Spain’s title race close, while AC Milan just hope to finish inside Italy’s top-half.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Can Sherwood do the trick, or will his loud ways alienate a club hoping to avoid its first ever trip into the Championship?
Feb 28, 2015, 4:33 PM EST
The Real Madrid outcast scored his ninth, 10th, 11th and 12th goals of the season in pushing Rayo Vallecano into 10th place.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:18 PM EST
It’s goal No. 1 of many for TFC’s $30-million man. Credit to TFC’s other $35-million and $25-million men for the fancy build-up.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Both sides of Merseyside are in action against a pair of Top Three contenders as the Premier League sends up two great appetizers.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Bayern made 577 more passes than its opponents. That’s bonkers.
- Watch Live: Documentary showcasing Arsenal’s “Invincibles” 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 2
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 2
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4