Mar 17, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Who would be a referee?
Have an off day and the players hate you, the managers loathe you and 50,000 supporters get to abuse you.
Your parentage is questioned, you eyesight ridiculed and the chant of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ is sung with fanatical glee. On the other hand, when you do a good job nobody notices!
Chris Foy understands the latter perfectly after he had the shocker of shockers when officiating Sunderland and Norwich today at the Stadium of Light.
He blew three calls that had game changing implications much to the annoyance of Canaries boss, Chris Houghton as his club took the short straw every time.
1. Sending off goalkeeper, Mark Bunn in the 30th minute was beyond harsh. It was such a bang-bang incident with zero intent that you have to wonder if he’d already made up his mind that Norwich would play with 10.
2. Agreeing with his assistant that Norwich defender, Sebastien Bassong had deliberately handled the ball after cushioning it off his chest to give the Black Cats a penalty and their equalizer.
3. Denying the Canaries a clear penalty when Danny Rose handled in the Sunderland box and deciding the offence had occurred a foot outside the penalty area.
It’s understandable that referees can have a bad day at the office but to get three decisions so wrong should see him demoted to handling subs and holding the board signaling additional time.
Anyone for instant replay…?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Check this out: one of the craziest tattoos from a soccer fan, ever.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”
Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”
Aug 20, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Fernandez arrives from Napoli as Swans sign Argentine center back.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Following his alleged racist comments, leader of Italian soccer facing lengthy ban.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Arsenal to miss out on Carvalho, Nastasic, as rumors continue to swirl. Check out the latest gossip, here.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Barcelona banned by FIFA from signing any new players from September 2014 to January 2016.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Spurs set to hand Red Devils duo escape route from Old Trafford?
Aug 20, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT
Portland victorious in CCL debut,while Club América affirmed their place as one of the competition’s favorites.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
21-year-old striker may turn to the 2.Bundesliga to get his young career back on track.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Injury couldn’t have come at a worse time for slumping Colorado.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
James Rodríguez’s opener is pulled back in the 81st minute, sending the rivals to the Calderón even.
Aug 19, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Steaua Bucharest, Bayer Leverkusen, and Red Bull Salzburg earned first leg wins.
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 3
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0