Mar 17, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
Who would be a referee?
Have an off day and the players hate you, the managers loathe you and 50,000 supporters get to abuse you.
Your parentage is questioned, you eyesight ridiculed and the chant of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ is sung with fanatical glee. On the other hand, when you do a good job nobody notices!
Chris Foy understands the latter perfectly after he had the shocker of shockers when officiating Sunderland and Norwich today at the Stadium of Light.
He blew three calls that had game changing implications much to the annoyance of Canaries boss, Chris Houghton as his club took the short straw every time.
1. Sending off goalkeeper, Mark Bunn in the 30th minute was beyond harsh. It was such a bang-bang incident with zero intent that you have to wonder if he’d already made up his mind that Norwich would play with 10.
2. Agreeing with his assistant that Norwich defender, Sebastien Bassong had deliberately handled the ball after cushioning it off his chest to give the Black Cats a penalty and their equalizer.
3. Denying the Canaries a clear penalty when Danny Rose handled in the Sunderland box and deciding the offence had occurred a foot outside the penalty area.
It’s understandable that referees can have a bad day at the office but to get three decisions so wrong should see him demoted to handling subs and holding the board signaling additional time.
Anyone for instant replay…?
Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
The bitterness is flowing freely from Falcao’s agent as he plots the Colombian striker’s next move to a “world’s best-seven team.”
Jan 24, 2015, 8:45 PM EST
If MLS is good enough for Italian national teamers, why isn’t it good enough for U.S. national teamers?
Jan 24, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Barcelona were stunning as they put a half-dozen past Elche, while Real stumbled to victory. Elsewhere, AC Milan are very bad.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:04 PM EST
The Baby Yanks are headed back to the Big Dance this summer.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
A number of PL giants fell on Saturday, leaving Arsenal, West Ham and Aston Villa shaking in their boots.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:54 PM EST
The squad is set for the first games of 2015, following a late addition and a number of cuts.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
After four games played, absolutely nothing separates any of the four teams in Group D. Nothing.
Jan 24, 2015, 3:23 PM EST
“Frustration is not the right word, embarrassed would be more appropriate.”
Jan 24, 2015, 2:51 PM EST
Catch up on all the latest rumors and gossip, right here.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:08 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off for Real Madrid, but Gareth Bale saved three points with a late-game penalty.
Jan 24, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
Chelsea, Manchester City and Southampton were all upset in one of the craziest rounds in FA Cup history.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:29 PM EST
Another Premier League giant is out of the FA Cup as Middlesbrough got the result of a lifetime.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
Madness at Stamford Bridge as The Bantams came from two goals down to knock Chelsea out of the FA Cup.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:38 AM EST
Middlesbrough are poised to knock the defending Premier League champions out of the FA Cup.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:04 AM EST
Southampton and Crystal Palace combined to score five first-half goals in a wild FA Cup match.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:49 AM EST
Unfortunately, the strike wasn’t enough to save Swansea City from defeat.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:23 AM EST
Knowing that Mancini knows Yaya well, we’ll present the comments in case something comes up.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Jurgen Klinsmann knows that Altidore’s move to MLS is a risk and an opportunity.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:50 AM EST
For every backheel volley highlight, there was a story like his nearly fighting Wilfried Zaha in an England U-21 match.
Jan 23, 2015, 11:10 PM EST
Check out the stats behind the sacks as the League Managers Association releases its quarterly report.
- Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS 3
- USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup 0
- Jurgen Klinsmann names 23-man roster for USMNT friendlies vs. Chile, Panama 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Ivory Coast, Cameroon in 1-1 draws as Group D up for grabs 0
- Mourinho on loss: “Me and the players must feel ashamed” 0
- FA Cup roundup: Top-three Premier League teams all eliminated at home 1