Mar 18, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
U.S. Soccer supporters are talking a lot about “panic buttons” right now. Never a good starting point for a conversation, if we’re being honest.
So the general answer is “No.” There is no need to go Wac-a-mole on the Panic Button just yet, never mind all those pesky defensive issues we talked about earlier today.
But perhaps you’d be smart to hover over it with a nervous paw. Even Klinsmann called this a “must-win.” Said it twice today, even.
Respected pal Alexi Lalas suggested in a Tweet that even a loss Friday against Costa Rica wouldn’t be time for Panic Button pounding. “But you should caress it lightly,” he assessed.
Uh, kinda creepy. But his point is that there will still be seven matches, and 15-16 points is probably going to seal the deal for Brazil 2014. This data-heavy workup from U.S. Soccer tell us the third-place team in CONCACAF final stage qualifying has averaged 15.75 points in the last four cycles.
I know for a fact that some people in my biz are absolutely outraged that the most experienced man among Klinsmann’s rear guard and goalkeeping selections has six World Cup qualifier caps. Given the painfully limited options, I’m not sure what choice the U.S. manager had. But when you put it like that … Six!
I do see the point.
Well, at least the weather was lovely in Denver for training today. Friday’s forecast is cold but mostly clear.
We know that most players have arrived – and we know so thanks to Twitter. Enjoy a few:
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public