Mar 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
- D.C. United’s Bill Hamid
Why we like them: Hamid says that late “maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t” Red Bulls effort wasn’t over the line. Either way, heck of save, dude! Speaking of “saving,” Hamid saved a point for his team with that one, not to mention preventing rival Eastern contender New York from collecting three points.
- New York Red Bulls’ Jamison Olave
- FC Dallas’ George John
- Philadelphia Union’s Jeff Parke (pictured)
- San Jose Earthquake’s Justin Morrow
Why we like them: Parke is making good on his move East from Seattle, back to his old stomping grounds. John scored a goal and did wonderful battle with Will Bruin in the Red Stripes’ 3-2 win. Morrow was a blaze up and down the flank’s as his Earthquakes matched the Crew in Ohio, 1-1.
- Chivas USA’s Eric Avila
- Montreal’s Patrice Bernier
- Montreal’s Davy Arnaud
- Seattle’s Steve Zakuani
Why we like them: Zakuani’s set-up pass from the left to Eddie Johnson for the Sounders’ goal was precision, high-quality stuff. Generally, this was Steve Zakuani of 2010; the man seems quite close to 100 percent back. Avila’s swell pass sprang the Goats’ dramatic, late equalizer in Sunday’s L.A. derby.
- Chicago Fire’s Chris Rolfe
- Colorado Rapids’ Deshorn Brown
Why we like them: Slim pickings for strikers this round as Rivalry Week came and went with precious few goals. Rolfe was lively against Sporting Kansas City, shaking some concerning, early season slows. Brown, a Rapids rookie, hit a huge goal for his team in a 1-1 draw with rival Real Salt Lake.
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 0
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 1
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0
- Report: Spanish legend Raul signs with the New York Cosmos 0
- Kolorov: City have been better than United for ‘five or six years’ 0
- MLS Playoffs Knockout Round Preview: Win or go home 1