Mar 19, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
When we talk about top strikers in Major League Soccer over the last four years, we don’t spent enough time on one of them.
And the problem if you’re a proud American Outlaw – the soccer supporter kind, that is, not one of the rascals those Law & Order smarties track down – is that he also stars for Costa Rica.
We’re talking about Alvaro Saborio. And the numbers tell a clear story that he’s been among the top MLS strikers since arrival into the league in 2010.
In the last four seasons (the last three complete campaigns plus a young 2013), Chris Wondolowski is far and away top MLS goal-getter. He has 62 goals in that time.
Next up is Saborio, who struck again over the weekend, an important goal that helped RSL match its chief rival, Colorado. Not that it’s anything new; he has scored big goals again and again for Jason Kreis’ club.
If Saborio worked a bigger market, we’d be gushing over this guy like the next Hollywood blockbuster. But he doesn’t. He plays in Utah, where the lack of national TV love is hardly lost on RSL officials. Kreis’ team will make four appearances on the NBC Sports Network but none ESPN networks. So four total, compared to 15 national TV appearances each for New York and Los Angeles Galaxy.
Well, we’re going to talk about the guy a bunch this week.
Here are the top MLS goal scorers over the last four seasons (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013), with goals scored:
- Arsenal ooze class in securing back-to-back FA Cups. But can they win the Premier League title next season? 0
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s FA Cup win vs. Aston Villa 0
- Arsenal 4-0 Aston Villa: Gunners swallow Villa to defend FA Cup title 1
- FOLLOW LIVE: Arsenal, Aston Villa square off in FA Cup final 0
- Hyndman stars as U.S. U-20 team downs Myanmar 2-1 to open World Cup play 2
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0