Mar 19, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
When we talk about top strikers in Major League Soccer over the last four years, we don’t spent enough time on one of them.
And the problem if you’re a proud American Outlaw – the soccer supporter kind, that is, not one of the rascals those Law & Order smarties track down – is that he also stars for Costa Rica.
We’re talking about Alvaro Saborio. And the numbers tell a clear story that he’s been among the top MLS strikers since arrival into the league in 2010.
In the last four seasons (the last three complete campaigns plus a young 2013), Chris Wondolowski is far and away top MLS goal-getter. He has 62 goals in that time.
Next up is Saborio, who struck again over the weekend, an important goal that helped RSL match its chief rival, Colorado. Not that it’s anything new; he has scored big goals again and again for Jason Kreis’ club.
If Saborio worked a bigger market, we’d be gushing over this guy like the next Hollywood blockbuster. But he doesn’t. He plays in Utah, where the lack of national TV love is hardly lost on RSL officials. Kreis’ team will make four appearances on the NBC Sports Network but none ESPN networks. So four total, compared to 15 national TV appearances each for New York and Los Angeles Galaxy.
Well, we’re going to talk about the guy a bunch this week.
Here are the top MLS goal scorers over the last four seasons (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013), with goals scored:
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 2
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?