Mar 19, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
It sounds as though young — yes, still young — Freddy Adu is off to
see the wizardplay in Brazil.
The 23-year-old attacker will reportedly undergo a medical evaluation at Bahia with the intention of joining the club. That’s far superior to his current persona non grata status with the Philadelphia Union. In exchange, the MLS side stands to receive former Manchester United midfielder Kléberson.
It’s all still pretty unclear, though, with Bahia president Marcelo Guimarães Filho telling reporters, “If the deal is done, costs will be reduced, as Freddy Adu would earn less than Kléberson, who would join Philadelphia Union in a swap deal,” but Union chief executive Nick Sakiewicz saying that Adu has not been asked to take a reduced salary.
(Sakiewicz also reported that while no MLS team inquired about Adu’s services, the player rejected offers from Russia, Ukraine, Australia, South Korea, and Mexico. “After the third time, I stopped trying to guess what Freddy Adu wants,” Sakiewicz said. “The Korea deal was substantially more than what he’s making now.”)
Bahia, for what it’s worth, sounds excited about securing Adu’s services. The team released a statement: “The player is good, young, and could adapt to Brazilian football.”
The newest team would be Adu’s eighth club since 2007, although his first one in South America. So that’s fun. The days of Freddy Adu as the future of American soccer are over, a thing of the past that seems ridiculous in retrospect, but I still but the man might not be totally done yet. He still has the vision and the skill to make an impact, and Brazil, which offers players plenty of time on the ball, might be the perfect place for him. And well away from the spotlight. Who knows? If this works out well, he could still turn things around.
One last thought: The other day, I posted a video of an interview of Jozy Altidore conducted by Jimmy Conrad. The following exchange caught my attention:
Conrad: “Who’s the best player you’ve ever played with?”
Altidore: “Honestly? Talentwise, Freddy Adu.”
That doesn’t go away. I’m just saying…
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"