Mar 19, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Don’t think Dominic Kinnear didn’t know exactly what he was doing Sunday.
The Houston Dynamo manager (the longest serving manager in his current position in MLS) wasn’t just upset about Kenny Cooper, although all of his Dynamo orange was clearly leaning into the red at that moment about the big FCD striker.
Kinnear knew he was starting a conversation – which was exactly his point. He loves and respects the game, and he was genuinely disgusted by his perceptions of something being done to hurt it. You may not agree. You may not enjoy the way Kinnear’s team lean to the physical side, and that’s fair. But no one should question the guy’s earnest desire for honesty in the game.
All that said, there is another side to diving and embellishment discussion. We talked about some of it yesterday, the tricky balance that can be so difficult to achieve.
Related, what about the scourge of persistent infringement?
How referees handle persistent, tactical fouling in midfield is an area where MLS policing has long been below par. There is just a level of sophistication missing, and Peter Walton and his PRO organization are presumably on the case here.
Here is a well-presented, well-thought out case for better enforcement of the game’s laws on persistent infringement. It applies beautifully here, because it uses examples from the very same match that had Kinnear so hopping mad.
There’s video evidence, for instance, of Ricardo Clark’s three fouls in the first 38 minutes.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games