Mar 19, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Don’t think Dominic Kinnear didn’t know exactly what he was doing Sunday.
The Houston Dynamo manager (the longest serving manager in his current position in MLS) wasn’t just upset about Kenny Cooper, although all of his Dynamo orange was clearly leaning into the red at that moment about the big FCD striker.
Kinnear knew he was starting a conversation – which was exactly his point. He loves and respects the game, and he was genuinely disgusted by his perceptions of something being done to hurt it. You may not agree. You may not enjoy the way Kinnear’s team lean to the physical side, and that’s fair. But no one should question the guy’s earnest desire for honesty in the game.
All that said, there is another side to diving and embellishment discussion. We talked about some of it yesterday, the tricky balance that can be so difficult to achieve.
Related, what about the scourge of persistent infringement?
How referees handle persistent, tactical fouling in midfield is an area where MLS policing has long been below par. There is just a level of sophistication missing, and Peter Walton and his PRO organization are presumably on the case here.
Here is a well-presented, well-thought out case for better enforcement of the game’s laws on persistent infringement. It applies beautifully here, because it uses examples from the very same match that had Kinnear so hopping mad.
There’s video evidence, for instance, of Ricardo Clark’s three fouls in the first 38 minutes.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes