Mar 19, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
Here are Nos. 11-19 of ProSoccerTalk’s weekly countdown following Round 3.
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. Chicago Fire – Who could blame Frank Klopas for parking the bus in Kansas City? The Fire needed a result after two clunkers and got the job done in a scoreless draw at Sporting Park. Chris Rolfe, emerging from a sluggish 2013 start, gave the team just enough offensive threat to keep SKC honest.
18. Colorado Rapids – What a pro debut for Clinton Irwin, who replaced fallen goalkeeper Matt Pickens and got the doggone job done in a 1-1 road draw with Real Salt Lake. Deshorn Brown? Keep an eye on that kid. (He made our weekly Best XI, you know.)
17. Chivas USA – The young Goats are playing hard for manager “El Chelis.” And if you’re looking for wonderful backstories, check out this one about Carlos Alvarez, who nailed the late equalizer in a dramatic 1-1 draw in the L.A. Derby. That young man has Chivas in his bones!
16. Toronto FC – Ryan Nelsen’s team made it tough on Montreal, pressing the home side at the end in a 2-1 loss. Terry Dunfield is far from the most graceful man in MLS, and he’s certainly an unheralded sort, but the guy tends to get the job done.
15. Seattle Sounders – CONCACAF hangover much? None of the teams that played second-leg quarterfinals last week won their Round 3 MLS contest a few nights later. Seattle included, as Sigi Schmid’s men dropped two points in a Cascadia Cup match by conceding a late equalizer to Portland. On the other hand, Steve Zakuani’s curling ball to Eddie Johnson was an absolute beauty.
14. Portland Timbers – Talk about your big leaps forward – and big sighs of relief. After two disappointing results at home, Caleb Porter’s team had to go on the road to grab a slice of MLS success. The moment was big, and Rodney Wallace (pictured) rose to it with his 91st-minute header in a 1-1 draw with Seattle.
13. New York Red Bulls – Thierry Henry will miss this week’s match on the artificial turf of Montreal. Whoa! Who saw that coming? Oh … wait a minute. We kinda did see that coming.
12. New England Revolution – A loss at Philadelphia will be a little easier to stomach thanks to a season-opening win on the road. Jay Heaps’ team opens its 17-game home schedule Saturday – and let’s hope they don’t need the orange balls for this one. C’mon, Spring. You can do it!
11. FC Dallas – Kenny Cooper’s late strike was huge in a 3-2 win over Houston. And Cooper was front and center in the big talker of the weekend, too. Busy lad, that one.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
At Roma, Dzeko will join a loaded attack which includes Mattia Destro, Victor Ibarbo and Seydou Doumbia, as well as Francesco Totti.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Ever wonder where the games you’re watching on TV are taking place? He’s a guide to help you out.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
D.C. United, LA Galaxy, RSL, Vancouver and Seattle fly the MLS flag as they look to break Liga MX’s stronghold.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
This coin toss is a really, really big deal for the four teams left in the competition.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
Should a PL giant hand Zlatan a chance to strut his stuff in England’s top-flight?
Aug 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors from around the PL.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Blues boss hugely complimentary of the PL’s other big boys heading into the new season.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rog, Davo, Mustoe and Earle hang out in the panic room and preview the upcoming PL season.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
Eight years after a loan spell, Gradel returns to Bournemouth.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Dutch club reach “agreement in outline” with Bundesliga side Bremen for AJ.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Apparently Louis van Gaal really, really wants Gareth Bale on his team.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Could the USMNT forward be thinking about a move to the Bundesliga?
Aug 3, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bobby Zamora has returned to his old club 12 years after leaving, and Brighton fans couldn’t be more excited.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Gonzalo Higuain won’t be leaving Napoli this summer, but he’s not impressed by the club’s feeble attempt at a contract extension.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
A massive blow to Juventus puts them on alert for midfield cover.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Liverpool has spent big for the second straight summer, but it appears the Reds may have learned a valuable lesson.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Rafael’s rocky seven-year tenure with Manchester United is over as he heads to France.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Not a great deal has changed in the world of Premier League goalkeepers this offseason, but among the differences is a huge one: Petr Cech has moved from Chelsea to Arsenal.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
PST selects the strongest XI’s for each PL team ahead of the 2015-16 season. Let us know what you think.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Ronaldo is not happy. Not at all.
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 2
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 10