Mar 19, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
Here are Nos. 11-19 of ProSoccerTalk’s weekly countdown following Round 3.
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. Chicago Fire – Who could blame Frank Klopas for parking the bus in Kansas City? The Fire needed a result after two clunkers and got the job done in a scoreless draw at Sporting Park. Chris Rolfe, emerging from a sluggish 2013 start, gave the team just enough offensive threat to keep SKC honest.
18. Colorado Rapids – What a pro debut for Clinton Irwin, who replaced fallen goalkeeper Matt Pickens and got the doggone job done in a 1-1 road draw with Real Salt Lake. Deshorn Brown? Keep an eye on that kid. (He made our weekly Best XI, you know.)
17. Chivas USA – The young Goats are playing hard for manager “El Chelis.” And if you’re looking for wonderful backstories, check out this one about Carlos Alvarez, who nailed the late equalizer in a dramatic 1-1 draw in the L.A. Derby. That young man has Chivas in his bones!
16. Toronto FC – Ryan Nelsen’s team made it tough on Montreal, pressing the home side at the end in a 2-1 loss. Terry Dunfield is far from the most graceful man in MLS, and he’s certainly an unheralded sort, but the guy tends to get the job done.
15. Seattle Sounders – CONCACAF hangover much? None of the teams that played second-leg quarterfinals last week won their Round 3 MLS contest a few nights later. Seattle included, as Sigi Schmid’s men dropped two points in a Cascadia Cup match by conceding a late equalizer to Portland. On the other hand, Steve Zakuani’s curling ball to Eddie Johnson was an absolute beauty.
14. Portland Timbers – Talk about your big leaps forward – and big sighs of relief. After two disappointing results at home, Caleb Porter’s team had to go on the road to grab a slice of MLS success. The moment was big, and Rodney Wallace (pictured) rose to it with his 91st-minute header in a 1-1 draw with Seattle.
13. New York Red Bulls – Thierry Henry will miss this week’s match on the artificial turf of Montreal. Whoa! Who saw that coming? Oh … wait a minute. We kinda did see that coming.
12. New England Revolution – A loss at Philadelphia will be a little easier to stomach thanks to a season-opening win on the road. Jay Heaps’ team opens its 17-game home schedule Saturday – and let’s hope they don’t need the orange balls for this one. C’mon, Spring. You can do it!
11. FC Dallas – Kenny Cooper’s late strike was huge in a 3-2 win over Houston. And Cooper was front and center in the big talker of the weekend, too. Busy lad, that one.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Watch in 90 seconds the construction of Avaya Stadium, from Day 1 to Game 1.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT
Another month out for Sturridge, just when Liverpool’s top-four dreams rest on his shoulders the most.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
You couldn’t get this one anymore wrong, UEFA. 10-times worse than racism? Not OK.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EDT
Solo said her 30-day suspension was full of therapy, apologies to her teammates and getting herself right for this summer’s World Cup.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:04 PM EDT
This weekend’s EURO 2016 qualifiers marks the halfway point of the group stage, which means it’s do-or-die time for a few hopefuls, and some giants.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The “Special One” received a rather special amount of cash in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Reports claim Pjanic is ready to leave Roma after four years in the Italian capital.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Xavi is heading to Qatar on a three-year deal, will get paid $11 million per season.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Here’s a look at the players with the highest revenue in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT
Blues legend extends his stay at the Bridge.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
When he’s not ripping apart Premier League defenses, Sanchez loves to unwind by tickling the ivory.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EDT
Barcelona ace had a pretty decent 2014…
Mar 26, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Shakhtar’s star striker set to leave in December when his contract runs out.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
Saints midfielder speaks of his desire to play in the UCL, reassess his future this summer.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Ronaldo could be in trouble after enticing Barca’s fans.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Walcott denies a “bust-up” with Wenger over contract talks.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:58 AM EDT
The German international playmaker is aiming to join the Messi’s and Ronaldo’s of this world.
Mar 25, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
The MLS disciplinary committee was busy after this last weekend.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
All the priceless images and marketable moments from the Argentinian national team’s visit to the Verizon Center.
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 2
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4
- Three things we learned from the USA’s late defeat vs. Denmark 6