Mar 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Following Round 3 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement.
10. Columbus – Fans who showed up for Saturday’s match despite the nasty weather got their money’s worth in a 1-1 draw with chances aplenty on both sides. The Crew misses Eddie Gaven, although young Ben Speas continues to look promising.
9. Philadelphia Union – Young striker Jack McInerney scored again as the home team overcame New England. That was his second game-winner in as many weeks. (Oh, and nice job from the PPL faithful, showing up in some pretty nasty weather, too. Man! When is spring going to get here, anyway?)
8. San Jose Earthquakes – Still missing too many front-line men, Frank Yallop’s club found enough to manage a 1-1 draw in Columbus, a worthy result for the boys from Buck Shaw, all things considered.
7. Sporting Kansas City – Three points from two matches on the road to open 2013 didn’t look so bad, but a scoreless draw to open the home schedule really stings. Is the strategic choice to possess more and pressure a little less backfiring? Or does the side just need more time to adjust?
6. Real Salt Lake – First things first: the club tied Colorado at home, 1-1. Nick Rimando was huge. Now … This week’s contest is the poster child for why MLS should stop stubbornly playing through FIFA dates. RSL will miss five players to international duty, including Rimando, its leading scorer and its top midfielder. Ridiculous.
5. D.C. United – Big drama at RFK! Cries for goal-line technology! Of course, it all worked out pretty well for the visitors into Red Bull Arena, as Bill Hamid (pictured) reached out and put a big paw on what was / was not / may have been the late game-winner in New Jersey. As scoreless draws go, this was a dandy.
4. Houston Dynamo – We’ve talked enough about Dominic Kinnear, who seriously twisted off about “divers and cheaters.” Meanwhile, we urge peace and balance in life and in MLS. His team? If they defend set-pieces a little better, they might have managed a draw in North Texas rather than a 3-2 loss. Oh, the Scottish kid, Andrew Driver? It’s going to be difficult to keep him off the field. He’s good.
3. LA Galaxy – The young season’s first blemish came in a 1-1 draw with its L.A. rival, as Bruce Arena’s team conceded a late equalizer to 10-man Chivas USA. Robbie Keane didn’t score, but the Irishman – who will miss this week due to international duty – was up for the job. Preseason talk of Keane as 2013 league MVP? He’s done little to hurt that so far.
2. Vancouver Whitecaps – We’ll know more about that 2-0 start when Martin Rennie’s club travels to Houston this weekend. Both Whitecaps’ wins have come at home so far. Meanwhile, some folks are wondering if the magic is already vanishing in Darren Mattocks? Seems a smidge early for all that … but check it out if you like.
1. Montreal Impact – Let’s just give Coach of the Year to Marco Schallibaum and be done with it! If you say you picked the Impact to be 3-0 at this point, you are a liar. Patrice Bernier is performing brilliantly, by the way. Oh, and Designated Player Marco Di Vaio tops the Castrol Index, if you’re into that kind of thing.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Goalkeeping starred in the first half before one a-piece settled the score.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Geoff Cameron may no longer fit at Stoke City, and could get a CB role elsewhere.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Another Sounders keeper went up in the air, although he couldn’t remain awake for the whole flight.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:56 PM EDT
Two Eastern Conference teams on unbeaten streaks meet at Sporting Park in Kansas City.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The Arsenal captain saw his games drop significantly last season, and would be a fantastic grab for Manchester United.
Aug 1, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
After a very disappointing debut season with Norwich City, the Dutch striker is off to France.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
A head-scratching moment by the New York defender cost him two games, while the ensuing melee dug into the wallets of others.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
With helpful videos, NBC is getting you ready for the upcoming Premier League season just days away!
Aug 1, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Despite reports to the contrary a month ago, it appears the newly-added Crimean clubs will indeed play in the Russian leagues next season.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
After 13 years at Chelsea, there’s a good chance Frank Lampard could play at Stamford Bridge again…in a lighter shade of blue.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
Arsenal, Newcastle and West Ham are among the teams who’ve loaded up on talent.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Myers and actor Daniel Craig were among the luminaries on hand to watch Liverpool take on Manchester City at Yankee Stadium.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Silly season has reached an absurd level, with even sports books creating rumors out of club links.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Birmigham City defender Will Packwood and Southampton goalkeeper Cody Cropper are on the list of U-23 stars preparing for the Bahamas.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Serbia and the Ivory Coast also tab new bosses as the race for continental and world glory continues.
Aug 1, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Fans of Detroit City FC helped raise money for slain Michigan referee John Bieniewicz via a “swear jar”, then saluting him with silent red card salute.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
A great save followed up by an awful rebound, as Hull draws Trencin 0-0 in its Europa League debut.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
West Ham, Crystal Palace and Newcastle have all added players for 2014/15, according to reports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Would City’s best prospects playing in MLS be a boon for the league, or lend the league a minor league image it’s trying to escape?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Alberto Moreno of Sevilla is the key cog of the pair, appearing 40-plus times for Sevilla in its run across La Liga and the Europa League.
- MLS Snapshot: Sporting KC 1-1 Philadelphia Union 0
- Reports: Geoff Cameron, seeking CB time, draws heavy Premier League interest 0
- Learn the chants for every Premier League team! 4
- Updated team-by-team list of Premier League transfers this summer 3
- US U23 list for Bahamas camp unveiled as Olympic prep continues 0
- New York City FC could be a proving ground for Man City youth 6