Mar 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Following Round 3 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement.
10. Columbus – Fans who showed up for Saturday’s match despite the nasty weather got their money’s worth in a 1-1 draw with chances aplenty on both sides. The Crew misses Eddie Gaven, although young Ben Speas continues to look promising.
9. Philadelphia Union – Young striker Jack McInerney scored again as the home team overcame New England. That was his second game-winner in as many weeks. (Oh, and nice job from the PPL faithful, showing up in some pretty nasty weather, too. Man! When is spring going to get here, anyway?)
8. San Jose Earthquakes – Still missing too many front-line men, Frank Yallop’s club found enough to manage a 1-1 draw in Columbus, a worthy result for the boys from Buck Shaw, all things considered.
7. Sporting Kansas City – Three points from two matches on the road to open 2013 didn’t look so bad, but a scoreless draw to open the home schedule really stings. Is the strategic choice to possess more and pressure a little less backfiring? Or does the side just need more time to adjust?
6. Real Salt Lake – First things first: the club tied Colorado at home, 1-1. Nick Rimando was huge. Now … This week’s contest is the poster child for why MLS should stop stubbornly playing through FIFA dates. RSL will miss five players to international duty, including Rimando, its leading scorer and its top midfielder. Ridiculous.
5. D.C. United – Big drama at RFK! Cries for goal-line technology! Of course, it all worked out pretty well for the visitors into Red Bull Arena, as Bill Hamid (pictured) reached out and put a big paw on what was / was not / may have been the late game-winner in New Jersey. As scoreless draws go, this was a dandy.
4. Houston Dynamo – We’ve talked enough about Dominic Kinnear, who seriously twisted off about “divers and cheaters.” Meanwhile, we urge peace and balance in life and in MLS. His team? If they defend set-pieces a little better, they might have managed a draw in North Texas rather than a 3-2 loss. Oh, the Scottish kid, Andrew Driver? It’s going to be difficult to keep him off the field. He’s good.
3. LA Galaxy – The young season’s first blemish came in a 1-1 draw with its L.A. rival, as Bruce Arena’s team conceded a late equalizer to 10-man Chivas USA. Robbie Keane didn’t score, but the Irishman – who will miss this week due to international duty – was up for the job. Preseason talk of Keane as 2013 league MVP? He’s done little to hurt that so far.
2. Vancouver Whitecaps – We’ll know more about that 2-0 start when Martin Rennie’s club travels to Houston this weekend. Both Whitecaps’ wins have come at home so far. Meanwhile, some folks are wondering if the magic is already vanishing in Darren Mattocks? Seems a smidge early for all that … but check it out if you like.
1. Montreal Impact – Let’s just give Coach of the Year to Marco Schallibaum and be done with it! If you say you picked the Impact to be 3-0 at this point, you are a liar. Patrice Bernier is performing brilliantly, by the way. Oh, and Designated Player Marco Di Vaio tops the Castrol Index, if you’re into that kind of thing.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Two Bradleys, two from Crew SC and two from the Dynamo — the latest MLS Team of the Week.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Yes, rumors know no season, but the transfer mill will churn out a lot less gossip after Tuesday’s end of the summer transfer season.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
Manchester United and Real Madrid have swapped goalkeepers, with the Premier League side landing a load of dough, too.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
The UEFA Champions League clubs don’t find themselves well-represented in the Premier League Team of the Week after a weekend of shocks around Britain.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
We’re still waiting to see whether Javier Hernandez seals his move to Bayer Leverkusen. “Chicharito” has been spotted around Bayer HQ.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The Black Panther is doing more than simply prowling; He is finishing his chances with style.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
The 2006 World Cup champion will organize Miami FC for co-owner Paolo Maldini during the club’s first season in the NASL.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look back at the PL weekend.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
It looks like we’re headed for a bonkers Transfer Deadline Day on Tuesday, and a trio of Premier League teams might be doing some under-the-radar business on Monday.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
With the transfer deadline approaching its Tuesday conclusion, deals and rumored deals are hitting the headlines at a head-spinning rate.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
This Little Pea went to market, reportedly finding a new home in the Bundesliga (And did he really ask for $135k per goal from West Ham?).
Aug 31, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
The French federation says Martial was given permission to leave camp by Didier Deschamps, and that he’ll sign a contract with United.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
A complete performance from the Red Bulls, who will finish the season unbeaten against their Atlantic Cup rivals.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Find out what moves have been completed with the transfer deadline approaching, as Wolfsburg made three big deals today.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
More than 64,000 supporters packed CenturyLink Field as the Sounders downed the Timbers in a Cascadia Cup clash.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Catch up on all of this weekend’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
Aug 30, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
The French winger has played for Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus, and now Bayern Munich. All before his 20th birthday.
Aug 30, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Tim Howard and Geoff Cameron are back in the squad, while the relatively unknown Andrew Wooten gets his first call-up.
Aug 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
In a managerial battle between the young Garry Monk and the veteran Louis van Gaal, the kid came out on top.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
After losing three matches all of last season, Juventus has now lost their first two games of the new campaign.
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 3
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 1
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2