Mar 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Following Round 3 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement.
10. Columbus – Fans who showed up for Saturday’s match despite the nasty weather got their money’s worth in a 1-1 draw with chances aplenty on both sides. The Crew misses Eddie Gaven, although young Ben Speas continues to look promising.
9. Philadelphia Union – Young striker Jack McInerney scored again as the home team overcame New England. That was his second game-winner in as many weeks. (Oh, and nice job from the PPL faithful, showing up in some pretty nasty weather, too. Man! When is spring going to get here, anyway?)
8. San Jose Earthquakes – Still missing too many front-line men, Frank Yallop’s club found enough to manage a 1-1 draw in Columbus, a worthy result for the boys from Buck Shaw, all things considered.
7. Sporting Kansas City – Three points from two matches on the road to open 2013 didn’t look so bad, but a scoreless draw to open the home schedule really stings. Is the strategic choice to possess more and pressure a little less backfiring? Or does the side just need more time to adjust?
6. Real Salt Lake – First things first: the club tied Colorado at home, 1-1. Nick Rimando was huge. Now … This week’s contest is the poster child for why MLS should stop stubbornly playing through FIFA dates. RSL will miss five players to international duty, including Rimando, its leading scorer and its top midfielder. Ridiculous.
5. D.C. United – Big drama at RFK! Cries for goal-line technology! Of course, it all worked out pretty well for the visitors into Red Bull Arena, as Bill Hamid (pictured) reached out and put a big paw on what was / was not / may have been the late game-winner in New Jersey. As scoreless draws go, this was a dandy.
4. Houston Dynamo – We’ve talked enough about Dominic Kinnear, who seriously twisted off about “divers and cheaters.” Meanwhile, we urge peace and balance in life and in MLS. His team? If they defend set-pieces a little better, they might have managed a draw in North Texas rather than a 3-2 loss. Oh, the Scottish kid, Andrew Driver? It’s going to be difficult to keep him off the field. He’s good.
3. LA Galaxy – The young season’s first blemish came in a 1-1 draw with its L.A. rival, as Bruce Arena’s team conceded a late equalizer to 10-man Chivas USA. Robbie Keane didn’t score, but the Irishman – who will miss this week due to international duty – was up for the job. Preseason talk of Keane as 2013 league MVP? He’s done little to hurt that so far.
2. Vancouver Whitecaps – We’ll know more about that 2-0 start when Martin Rennie’s club travels to Houston this weekend. Both Whitecaps’ wins have come at home so far. Meanwhile, some folks are wondering if the magic is already vanishing in Darren Mattocks? Seems a smidge early for all that … but check it out if you like.
1. Montreal Impact – Let’s just give Coach of the Year to Marco Schallibaum and be done with it! If you say you picked the Impact to be 3-0 at this point, you are a liar. Patrice Bernier is performing brilliantly, by the way. Oh, and Designated Player Marco Di Vaio tops the Castrol Index, if you’re into that kind of thing.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Paderborn hasn’t stopped winning or scoring insane goals, if you haven’t noticed.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Actor Mark Consuelos made his way to the Crap Part of Soho while the Men In Blazers tried to keep the ball out of their own net.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Bayern Munich have a very difficult match on the road in Italy, while other matchups in Spain, Russia, and Germany will all prove enjoyable.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Meghan Klingenberg bagged a laser beam for her first US goal and Abby Wambach grabbed two as the Americans will move on to the semifinals.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested after flying a drone over the match that entertained 45,000 people.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Aron Johannsson bagged a penalty in his return from groin surgery, while Juan Agudelo continues to search for a new club.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Adel Taarabt says the harsh words from manager Harry Redknapp are not only untrue but damaging as a professional.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Liverpool, Everton and Swansea City are just a few of the Premier League clubs reportedly looking to sign the Marseille winger.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
With transfer rumors swirling, the Arsenal forward made it clear that he is #AlwaysAGunner.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Amidst the Ebola outbreak, South Africa has ruled out hosting the continent’s premier tournament should Morocco back out.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Sad news out of India as a young player died after injuring his spinal cord during a celebration.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ahmed Musa stirred the pot ahead of his club’s Champions League clash this week, calling out City’s form.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Watch the Baggies take on Manchester United today, live at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
The Chelsea backup is teaching his replacement how to stay safe from head injuries, which have affected both keepers.
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2