Mar 20, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Blame it on astronomical French taxes or call it David Beckham’s altruism, but the world’s most recognizable soccer player is taking a relative pittance in wages at Paris Saint-Germain. Regardless, the former LA Galaxy icon is still the top earning player in world soccer.
France Football released their annual list yesterday, and despite only five percent of his income being brought in through wages, Beckham will made €36 million this season. That’s about $46.6 million, or about $1.4 million more than Lionel Messi, whose salary makes up just over one-third of his income.
That’s worth a little consideration. Lionel Messi is the best player of most of our lifetimes. He’s in his prime, seems to improve year-on-year, and is playing for one of the three or four more marketable clubs in the world. He embodies almost every single thing you’d want in an athlete, yet Brand Beckham, carefully cultivated over almost two decades, can still out-earn Messi long after the player has left his prime.
Messi can break scoring records, win trophy after trophy, and threaten to claim best player ever status before his 26th birthday, but as long as David Beckham keep playing, the number one spot on France Football’s annual list may be off limits.
Here’s the entire top 10.
1. David Beckham, Paris Saint Germain (France) – $46.6 million
2. Lionel Messi, Barcelona (Spain) – $45.2 million
3. Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid (Spain) – $38.7 million
4. Samuel Eto’o, Anzhi Makhachkala (Russia) – $31 million
5. Neymar, Santos (Brazil) – $25.8 million
6. Sergio Agüero, Manchester City (England) – $24.5 million
7. Wayne Rooney, Manchester United (England) – $23.2 million
8. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paris Saint-Germain (France) – $22.6 million
9. Yaya Touré, Manchester City (England) – $21.4 million
10. Fernando Torres, Chelsea (England) – $21.0 million
Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA was the only MLS match to occur on Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Short written and video recap of Sunday’s games.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 9
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0