Mar 20, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Despite the best attempts by the English media, Belgian powerhouse Romelu Lukaku is refusing to discuss his Chelsea future until the end of the Premier League season.
C’mon, Romelu. Not even a hint?
Nope, not even a hint.
Since arriving at the Hawthorns the 6’3″ striker has been in stunning form, hitting pay dirt 13 times in just 25 league appearances. His season-long loan with the Baggies will see him head back to Stamford Bridge in the summer and while West Brom manager Steve Clarke is pessimistic about an extension, Lukaku is keeping his focus on finishing strong for Albion.
“I am just waiting until the end of season,” the Belgian said. “I am just performing for West Brom at the moment. We will see what will happen and I don’t want to talk about it either.”
The problem that Lukaku is no doubt aware of is that Chelsea’s favored 4-2-3-1 formation is hardly conducive to a setup with three star strikers. With Demba Ba and Fernando Torres splitting time it’s doubtful there’s any room at the inn for the ex-Anderlecht man. Factor in Brazilian Lucas Piazon impressing in his loan spell at Malaga and Roman Abramovich’s man crush on Radamel Falcao and maybe the Bridge isn’t the best place for the dreadlocked maestro.
But it should be.
Because as his performances on the pitch and his demeanor off of it prove, Lukaku is class. It is by no means easy for a 19 year old – who has repeatedly been compared to Didier Drogba – to be loaned out to a club in the Midlands, score bags of goals and not whine about how he should be starting at his parent club.
Lukaku consistently cuts the figure of a player who is hungry and modest. Chelsea would do well to have such a character lead their line.
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 10 0
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0