Mar 21, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
For many managers in football, the day you get hired by a professional team is the pinnacle however as my mentor once told me ‘you’re now a day closer to getting the sack,’ yes, like death and taxes, getting sacked in football is as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning.
This season has been particularly brutal in England as the pink slips have been flying. In total, 103 managers and coaches have lost their jobs in 2012-13 and the LMA, the League Managers Association has described the situation as embarrassing.
Four Premier League managers have been shown the exit door in this current campaign – Roberto Di Matteo at Chelsea, Brian McDermott at Reading, Nigel Adkins at Southampton and Mark Hughes at QPR which translates into 20% of the league but that’s job security compared to the Championship where 17 managers have been dismissed.
With World Cup qualifying in full flow over the next week club managers will at least have a seven day window of security but on the other side of the coin, any international manager who losses a couple of games and puts his country in danger of missing out on the Brazilian samba party next year will surely feel the heat.
Men in jeopardy of receiving a pink slip include Serbia’s Siniša Mihajlović, Michal Bílek of the Czech Republic, the seemingly always under pressure Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, Abdullah Avcı of Turkey and of course, England’s Roy Hodgson.
By this time next week who do you think will most likely be out of a job?
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public