Qatar is hot in the summer doh!

Mar 21, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT

UEFA President Platini smiles during a draw ceremony for the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship in Tel Aviv Reuters

Now that’s a news flash eh! It’s sort of like saying you get wet in the shower and drinking 10 pints of ESB gets you hammered.

When the decision to host the World Cup in Qatar was made, the first reaction was questions about the heat, actually that was the second reaction, the first was ‘how did that just happen’ but that’s another tale.

So back to the heat in Doha where in the peak summer months it’s hot enough to turn an ice-cold beer into a steamy fondue in seconds. The idea that players, supporters and the like would be able to handle the furnace is ludicrous so the noise to move the tournament is beginning to build

Cuddly uncle Sepp Blatter who thankfully will not be FIFA president by that time has stated that it’s up to the Qatar organizing committee to request an alternative date. His UEFA counterpart, Michel Platini, no stranger to wacky ideas also chipped in with the following today

“I voted for Qatar because they have never organised such a tournament before. If you play in Qatar in December of January, the heat is no longer a problem. In the summer, however, it is impossible to play football when it’s 50 degrees Celsius,”

As we get closer and closer to the point of no return in staging the tournament I can see that it will become the catalyst that ruins FIFA.

Trust me, the contracts have been signed and the lawyers are circling.

1. dfstell - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

This whole Qatar thing is idiotic. I’d love it if they have to play in the summer and the players boycotted it. Or at least so many of the best players stayed home that it became like the 1980 or 1984 Olympics that have asterisks due to boycotts.

2. geojock - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I still dont know why in 2013 this the rubbish isnt considered criminal activity.

3. danielofthedale - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Off topic, but I love the ESB love! Its one of my favorite beer styles and not nearly enough American breweries make one!

• mvktr2 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Yay danielofthedale is a fellow beer nerd! I love beer so much that I’m a homebrewer. I enjoy ESBs also but don’t really have a favorite style, love it all if it’s good.

4. Nick Webster - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM

geojock I think in many quarters it is !

5. mkbryant3 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Gotta chime in and vote for the sour beers. Awesome stuff. Nothing like a little Duchess or some Lips of Faith. Yum!

6. joeyt360 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

“The trouble I have with this statement is that when Platini voted to decide the host of 2022 he knew that the World Cup is a summer tournament and would be played in the months of June and July.”

Of course, he’s lying through his teeth about it, anyway. He voted for Qatar because Sarko told him to. He probably desperately hoped they wouldn’t win, so that he didn’t have to live with the consequences of his vote.

And of course, nobody has brought up the next issue after heat: that Qatar is basically a city-state, and that there just might be a reason they’ve never hosted a tourney like this.

Week 3: Saturday Premier League recap