Mar 21, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
DENVER – The cold and the nasty may be on the way, but the weather was absolutely brilliant for the United States’ final practice this afternoon, held at the University of Denver near downtown.
With just a little luck maybe the really bad stuff headed this way will hold off until later in the night. Maybe.
Other news and notes ahead of tomorrow’s pressure-packed contest at Dicks Sporting Goods Park.
- The contest is sold out; has been for weeks.
- During an afternoon news conference, U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann said he had no problem with Brian Straus’ provocative article from the Sporting News. “Obviously I prefer that if you have a problem with me, come to me and talk to me about it. The so-called ‘anonymous quotes’ where we don’t know who said it; is it a player? Is it an agent? Is it a fan or whoever? But it doesn’t distract us from what we’re here for or. Our focus is strictly Costa Rica.”
- Klinsmann also responded to recent statements from former U.S. coach Bruce Arena about the use of so-called passport players. Mostly, the LA Galaxy manager was referring to Timothy Chandler, Fabian Johnson, Danny Williams, Jermaine Jones, Terrence Boyd and others in the pool who were born overseas but dual citizenship holders due to their parents.
- Klinsmann: “I believe Americans are Americans no matter if they grow up in Japan, South Africa or Buenos Aires. Our job is identify the best talents with American passports and see if they are good enough to come into that elite group. By finding those answers, the only way to do that is actually inviting them in and see how they do in our environment and give them their opportunity.”
- By all accounts, DaMarcus Beasley (pictured) is fitting right into the group despite his length absence. Presumably, he’ll get on the field at some point tomorrow, and it will be a significant appearance. Beasley would join an elite fraternity of players who have worn the U.S. shirt in at least one match for 13 consecutive years. The others are Frankie Hejduk (14 years), Marcelo Balboa, Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones, Kasey Keller, Claudio Reyna and Earnie Stewart.
- This would also be Beasley’s 98th cap.
- What Beasley said about the pressure attached to this one: “We’ve always come through when there’s pressure on. It’s always been that way when I’ve been there, it won’t be any differ come tomorrow. We embrace the pressure. We know we are at home, we know we need three points. It’s a very important match, even though it’s very early in the tournament. Everyone knows that. In qualifying you need to win your home matches, for sure. Tomorrow will be no different.”
- Mucho game notes are here from U.S. Soccer.
Watch ProSoccerTalk tomorrow; we’ll have lots of pre-game coverage, and then ample match coverage as well.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:17 PM EST
The title race was minutes from being OVER; it’s still probably over. Tevez’s goal was an absolute beauty.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Last season’s worst team in the West has a new stadium and high hopes for 2015.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:21 PM EST
Jerseys, jerseys, jerseys! More new jerseys!
Mar 2, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
Where and how to watch every single PL game on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
The 23-year-old German defender was attempting to win a loose ball, and instead struck a strong ball past his keeper.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
After finishing with the fewest points in MLS last season, the only way to go is up for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Why wait for the season that might not happen, when we’ve got all the answers for you right now?
Mar 2, 2015, 2:14 PM EST
The captain has been out since Feb. 10, while Ibe was hurt in last week’s Europa League dismissal by Besiktas.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Bocanegra will work with MLS Atlanta president Darren Eales, who has worked with Premier League clubs West Bromwich Albion and Tottenham Hotspur.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EST
The Daily Mail had reported that three cops cars stormed a Premier Leaguer’s apartment earlier Monday to make the arrest.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:22 PM EST
KC only has two Designated Players — Matt Besler and Zusi — and RVDV would be a nice match provided the money works for both parties.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
The Lions will roar into MLS after several successful seasons in the third-tier. How will Orlando fare in 2015?
Mar 2, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Hull takes on Sunderland, Bruce’s old club, on Tuesday.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:06 AM EST
PST’s Editor and Lead Writer take a look back at Week 27 in the Premier League.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Chelsea fans on a train from London to Manchester have been accused of more racist behavior following the club’s 2-0 League Cup final win over Tottenham on Sunday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:23 AM EST
Barring a catastrophic run of injuries, Chelsea looks set for a double, but the treble will take all of Mourinho’s managerial magic and likely some luck.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
Can NYCFC capture the hearts and minds of soccer fans in the Big Apple? Here’s a look at how things are shaping up for their inaugural season in MLS.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:15 AM EST
It has not been a banner loan for the 6-foot Polish-German striker.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:48 AM EST
The transfer gossip out of Spain is that Orlando City is trying to woo the agent for Mario Balotelli.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:10 PM EST
Find out who made the cut as one of the top performers of Round 27 in the Premier League.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0