Mar 21, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
DENVER – The cold and the nasty may be on the way, but the weather was absolutely brilliant for the United States’ final practice this afternoon, held at the University of Denver near downtown.
With just a little luck maybe the really bad stuff headed this way will hold off until later in the night. Maybe.
Other news and notes ahead of tomorrow’s pressure-packed contest at Dicks Sporting Goods Park.
- The contest is sold out; has been for weeks.
- During an afternoon news conference, U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann said he had no problem with Brian Straus’ provocative article from the Sporting News. “Obviously I prefer that if you have a problem with me, come to me and talk to me about it. The so-called ‘anonymous quotes’ where we don’t know who said it; is it a player? Is it an agent? Is it a fan or whoever? But it doesn’t distract us from what we’re here for or. Our focus is strictly Costa Rica.”
- Klinsmann also responded to recent statements from former U.S. coach Bruce Arena about the use of so-called passport players. Mostly, the LA Galaxy manager was referring to Timothy Chandler, Fabian Johnson, Danny Williams, Jermaine Jones, Terrence Boyd and others in the pool who were born overseas but dual citizenship holders due to their parents.
- Klinsmann: “I believe Americans are Americans no matter if they grow up in Japan, South Africa or Buenos Aires. Our job is identify the best talents with American passports and see if they are good enough to come into that elite group. By finding those answers, the only way to do that is actually inviting them in and see how they do in our environment and give them their opportunity.”
- By all accounts, DaMarcus Beasley (pictured) is fitting right into the group despite his length absence. Presumably, he’ll get on the field at some point tomorrow, and it will be a significant appearance. Beasley would join an elite fraternity of players who have worn the U.S. shirt in at least one match for 13 consecutive years. The others are Frankie Hejduk (14 years), Marcelo Balboa, Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones, Kasey Keller, Claudio Reyna and Earnie Stewart.
- This would also be Beasley’s 98th cap.
- What Beasley said about the pressure attached to this one: “We’ve always come through when there’s pressure on. It’s always been that way when I’ve been there, it won’t be any differ come tomorrow. We embrace the pressure. We know we are at home, we know we need three points. It’s a very important match, even though it’s very early in the tournament. Everyone knows that. In qualifying you need to win your home matches, for sure. Tomorrow will be no different.”
- Mucho game notes are here from U.S. Soccer.
Watch ProSoccerTalk tomorrow; we’ll have lots of pre-game coverage, and then ample match coverage as well.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
King Power Stadium is bursting with attacking skill as three goals have come within the opening 20 minutes.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:07 AM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino has to navigate a pair of fixtures in four days thanks to the Europa League, and will look to avoid the first defeat to West Brom at White Hart Lane in 30 years.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
Radamel Falcao makes his first start for Manchester United who look to build on a strong win last weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
Strootman has hired a man with a solid reputation to try and bring down Roma’s insane asking price.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Frank Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 4
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 7
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0