Mar 21, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
DENVER – U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann and members of the U.S. Soccer contingent never hid the primary reason they selected Denver as the venue for Friday’s World Cup qualifier versus Costa Rica.
Most of the Ticos play in temperate Central America, where “winter” is mostly something they all read about on Wikipedia.
It’s the same reason members of the United States soccer establishment love them Ohio when facing Mexico. (And almost certainly will again this go-round; all indications have the match against Mexico later this year landing at Crew Stadium once again.)
They wanted it cold for this one Friday. Well, happy days!
Tomorrow’s high: 42 degrees. By kickoff, the temperatures will surely be in the 30. Oh, did we mention the “p.m. showers” in the forecast?
Looking at Klinsmann’s (injury depleted) roster, count on seven or eight of them being among the group currently doing their passing, trapping and shooting in Europe.
- Manchester United 2-0 Sunderland: Rooney nets double to seal easy win 0
- Newcastle United 1-0 Aston Villa: Cisse’s goal keeps Sherwood’s Villans in the drop zone 0
- West Ham United 1-3 Crystal Palace: Eagles win fiery London derby 1
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Sunderland (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 27 0
- Odell Beckham Jr. appears on TV show in England, reveals former dream was to be a pro soccer player 0