Mar 21, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
DENVER – U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann and members of the U.S. Soccer contingent never hid the primary reason they selected Denver as the venue for Friday’s World Cup qualifier versus Costa Rica.
Most of the Ticos play in temperate Central America, where “winter” is mostly something they all read about on Wikipedia.
It’s the same reason members of the United States soccer establishment love them Ohio when facing Mexico. (And almost certainly will again this go-round; all indications have the match against Mexico later this year landing at Crew Stadium once again.)
They wanted it cold for this one Friday. Well, happy days!
Tomorrow’s high: 42 degrees. By kickoff, the temperatures will surely be in the 30. Oh, did we mention the “p.m. showers” in the forecast?
Looking at Klinsmann’s (injury depleted) roster, count on seven or eight of them being among the group currently doing their passing, trapping and shooting in Europe.
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 5
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 1
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 1
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2