Mar 21, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
DENVER – U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann and members of the U.S. Soccer contingent never hid the primary reason they selected Denver as the venue for Friday’s World Cup qualifier versus Costa Rica.
Most of the Ticos play in temperate Central America, where “winter” is mostly something they all read about on Wikipedia.
It’s the same reason members of the United States soccer establishment love them Ohio when facing Mexico. (And almost certainly will again this go-round; all indications have the match against Mexico later this year landing at Crew Stadium once again.)
They wanted it cold for this one Friday. Well, happy days!
Tomorrow’s high: 42 degrees. By kickoff, the temperatures will surely be in the 30. Oh, did we mention the “p.m. showers” in the forecast?
Looking at Klinsmann’s (injury depleted) roster, count on seven or eight of them being among the group currently doing their passing, trapping and shooting in Europe.
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1