Mar 21, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
DENVER – U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann and members of the U.S. Soccer contingent never hid the primary reason they selected Denver as the venue for Friday’s World Cup qualifier versus Costa Rica.
Most of the Ticos play in temperate Central America, where “winter” is mostly something they all read about on Wikipedia.
It’s the same reason members of the United States soccer establishment love them Ohio when facing Mexico. (And almost certainly will again this go-round; all indications have the match against Mexico later this year landing at Crew Stadium once again.)
They wanted it cold for this one Friday. Well, happy days!
Tomorrow’s high: 42 degrees. By kickoff, the temperatures will surely be in the 30. Oh, did we mention the “p.m. showers” in the forecast?
Looking at Klinsmann’s (injury depleted) roster, count on seven or eight of them being among the group currently doing their passing, trapping and shooting in Europe.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League