Mar 23, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
A few things to consider as you watch the goals and some swell saves of Columbus’ 2-1 road win Saturday at D.C. United:
- United’s defending on set-pieces was terrible. Horribly so, for that’s the biggest reason United’s watched its 18-game home unbeaten streak go bye-bye Saturday.
- You get so much “good” with young United goalkeeper Bill Hamid, but a heaping helping of “bad” as well. Hamid’s decision making was awful on the Crew’s first goal, coming out into a crowd to collect a corner kick but getting nowhere near it. Later, he fumbled a free kick right into the worst spot, into the middle of the field; the Crew’s Ben Speas was there to nail the game-winner.
- Speaking of Speas: The Columbus Crew home-grown signing, who debuted on the final match day of 2012, continues to impress. Robert Warzycha and his staff really have something in the young midfielder.
- Previously, Speas was a replacement for the injured Eddie Gaven (and PST readers know we always call Gaven one of the most underrated of MLS men.) Saturday Warzycha had them both on the field, at either flank.
- Dwayne De Rosario is now into his third season at RFK, and yet the tinkering on how best to use the league’s 2011 MVP continues. He played ahead of holding midfielder Perry Kitchen, behind two strikers on Saturday. In his time at United, De Rosario has operated as a central attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, as a second striker and in the role he occupied Saturday.
Highlights of Saturday’s contest at RFK Stadium:
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 0
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 3
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: New York City FC 0
- Rumors know no window: Orlando using Kaka to lure Balotelli to MLS 5