Might a Costa Rican protest be in the works?

Mar 23, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT

Costa Rica v United States - FIFA 2014 World Cup Qualifier Getty Images

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. – My Spanish-language skills are limited, and I would never attempt to translate something and then put it out to the rest of the world. Walter Cronkite and other journalistic giants would certainly not approve such a dicey gambit.

On the other hand, mastery of the language is hardly required to know that Costa Rican manager Jorge Luis Pinto was not happy about the decision to continue Friday’s surreal match at Dicks Sporting Goods Park.

I sat in on the Costa Rican post-game news conference late last night at DSG Park and picked out a few words of scorn aimed at match officials, words like “embarrassment.”

According to MLSSoccer.com, Pinto said: “We’re going to ask about it. When you can’t see the lines on the field, the game should automatically be stopped.”

(MORE: the choices and decisions that went on Friday)

It was clear that Costa Rican officials wanted the match stopped … and equally clear that the Americans wished to go on. U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann said there was “no way” he would let the match be halted by Salvadoran referee Joel Aguilar.

There a lot more in the MLSSoccer.com report, including indications that the Costa Rican federation may protest. Bottom line, the Costa Rican players, coaches and officials were all upset. Presumably, they’d be a lot happier if they, rather than U.S. man Clint Dempsey, had scored that early goal, before conditions deteriorated to the point where scoring approached something impossible.

I cannot see any scenario where FIFA or CONCACAF officials would order a replay, but I will check with U.S. Soccer as soon as possible.

The United States team canceled a practice session set for today in snow-covered Denver. They will do a gym workout instead and then fly to Mexico City on Sunday morning.

1. joenash72 - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

What is Costa Rica excuse gonna be when they lose to US again on Tuesday? It was too hot?

• tarotsujimoto74 - Mar 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Playing Mexico on Tuesday

2. djpnyr13 - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

And I’m sure when the US heads down for games in Central America, they’d like to play not in the dead heat of the afternoon or not to have people disturbing them at their hotel all night before the game. Welcome to road games in the Hex…

3. Dan Haug - Mar 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Teams from Central America and the Caribbean expect to have a home-field advantage and a neutral, well-groomed venue in the US. How DARE the US schedule a match that would give their team an actual home-field advantage?!?! :)

4. slxc - Mar 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Simply the Costa Ricans, must understand that this is Concacaf and climates are varied, or if it is too hot or too cold, I think the United States and found a new method to annoy the Caribbean teams.

5. dfstell - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I’ve said it other places, but I really don’t see why this is any different than those games played in the Caribbean or Central America on a crummy pitch in driving rain. I mean, I’d kinda understand if player safety seemed an issue, but I didn’t see that many guys losing their footing.

6. bellerophon30 - Mar 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Yes, it’s hard to feel sorry for the Costa Ricans. It snows here in North America, and my only regret is that we didn’t get to play Mexico during this weekend in Colorado. That would have been fun.

7. jackwhite11 - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Like any rational soccer fan, I don’t blame the Costa Ricans a bit. Fercryinoutloud, what genius scheduled an important soccer game in Colorado in mid-March??

• genebrooklyn - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Good to see that you don’t let facts get in your way when posting. If US Soccer can predict the day of a big snowstorm 3 months in advance, maybe we should throw over the Weather Bureau and hire them. For the record, the average high temperature in Denver in March is 56 degrees, compared to 50 degrees in New York for example. While admittedly March is the snowiest month in Denver, I have seen 15 inch snowstorms in NYC in March as well—most of the US has a climate with 4 seasons and it can snow in much of it into March (or in Denver until May (or 8 inches in June or 12 inches in September). I suppose you think Denver is high up in the Rockies—it is not nicknamed the “Queen City of the Plains” because of its location on the top of some mountain. Facts are nasty little things.

8. scoocha - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM

^^^ Have you read any of the previous valid comments before yours? Stop it!

9. jumpingnots - Mar 24, 2013 at 3:16 AM

This US soccer team gets nowhere that shows it clearly this time around, to much negative talk among the players and a not so close relations with the new coach said it all.
    If they need the snow to win here at home from a team like Costa Rica by one point then I have not to say anything more and all you folks will understand that,and then they were lucky that C R had a goal anuled ,so to me right now it looks like they might not even qualify for the Word Cup playoffs.
    That MLS level soccer won’t do it folks,that’s all I have to say.