Mar 24, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Two goalkeepers at RFK Stadium compiled a highlight reel of outstanding saves. D.C. United’s Bill Hamid and the Columbus Crew’s Andy Gruenebaum kept the score down with brilliant shot-stopping in the Crew’s 2-1 win.
Hamid wasn’t always tip-tip in this one, as we told you about yesterday. But watch his late save off Dominic Oduro’s blast (never mind that the Crew forward would have been better to take this ball into the corner and kill some more clock):
Here’s more of the good work from Hamid, who doesn’t always make the best choices on when to come collect balls or when to stray far off his line, beyond the penalty area, but whose raw shot-stopping is absolutely outstanding.
Check out the agility Hamid shows on this one, a tougher save than it looks, even; Eddie Gaven has a lot of curl and top-spin on this ball as it drops with menace toward D.C. United goal:
That kind of athletic ability is why Hamid has been a regular in U.S. national team camps over the last two years. He doesn’t have the experience to stand in goal internationally, but the U.S. staff certainly recognizes that all the ability in the world is there if he can just improve the decision-making.
But let’s not slight Gruenebaum’s role in yesterday prized collection of saves. His double save in the first half was simply outstanding, one of the top double jobbers you’ll see in MLS this year.
Oh, and watch United’s Dwayne De Rosario, the victim in this daylight robbery, graciously acknowledge his opponent’s wonderful work:
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 5
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0