Mar 24, 2013, 7:41 PM EST
Juan Agudelo was surely disappointed not to be called by Jurgen Klinsmann for the latest pair of World Cup qualifiers. He’s still young, of course, just 20 years old. But Agudelo already has 17 caps, and debuted with the full side at 18 years old more than two years ago. So it wouldn’t have been surprising to see the Goats striker named when U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann announced his latest round of selections a year ago.
Chivas USA would surely have been proud – but pride doesn’t score the goals. Not exactly, anyway.
Thus, Agudelo (pictured) was around to hit a wonderful goal, and to and supply a very intelligent assist on Edgar Mejia’s opener for the surprising Goats.
Chivas USA’s 4-1 win at chilly Toyota Park was Major League Soccer’s only match Sunday.
That’s the other big story here, the ongoing success for Chivas USA, which finds itself today sitting tied for second in the West. That’s hardly where most of us (*raises hand, pleading guilty as sin*) saw this thing going. It’s early, but last week’s draw with Los Angeles when playing so long a man down, and now a win in the team’s first road match under Jose (“Chelis”) Luis Sanchez Sola sure looks good.
(There is one other story angle here, from the other side. … But let’s take a look at Chicago and the woeful Fire start Monday.)
Here’s Agudelo’s technically perfect, curling ball around Fire backup goalkeeperPaolo Tornaghi:
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''