Mar 24, 2013, 7:41 PM EST
Juan Agudelo was surely disappointed not to be called by Jurgen Klinsmann for the latest pair of World Cup qualifiers. He’s still young, of course, just 20 years old. But Agudelo already has 17 caps, and debuted with the full side at 18 years old more than two years ago. So it wouldn’t have been surprising to see the Goats striker named when U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann announced his latest round of selections a year ago.
Chivas USA would surely have been proud – but pride doesn’t score the goals. Not exactly, anyway.
Thus, Agudelo (pictured) was around to hit a wonderful goal, and to and supply a very intelligent assist on Edgar Mejia’s opener for the surprising Goats.
Chivas USA’s 4-1 win at chilly Toyota Park was Major League Soccer’s only match Sunday.
That’s the other big story here, the ongoing success for Chivas USA, which finds itself today sitting tied for second in the West. That’s hardly where most of us (*raises hand, pleading guilty as sin*) saw this thing going. It’s early, but last week’s draw with Los Angeles when playing so long a man down, and now a win in the team’s first road match under Jose (“Chelis”) Luis Sanchez Sola sure looks good.
(There is one other story angle here, from the other side. … But let’s take a look at Chicago and the woeful Fire start Monday.)
Here’s Agudelo’s technically perfect, curling ball around Fire backup goalkeeperPaolo Tornaghi:
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Former Inter star sends Juve down to the Europa League with help from Didier Drogba.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? Check out how the sides stack up after a double dose of action last week:
Dec 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Any takers on these three countries as potential upset-springers in Brazil?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Could Newcastle set a standard in offering exclusive access to paying media members?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 AM EST
Has Wayne Rooney rejected contract talks with Manchester United? Can a suitor pry Vincent Kompany from City? All this and more in Wednesday’s transfer rumor roundup.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:41 AM EST
Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini and goal scorer James Milner apparently in dark over UEFA Champions League tiebreaking rules.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
Relax – the LA Galaxy and U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer isn’t going anywhere:
Dec 10, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
So the New York Red Bulls’ top organizational man says wants Henry to consider another year after 2014, eh?
Dec 10, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Chelsea, Arsenal, and Barcelona look to close out their groups, while a qualified Atlético Madrid look to play spoilers in theirs.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
As long expected, the high successful Real Salt Lake leader will guide Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise:
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"