Mar 24, 2013, 3:30 AM EDT
Los Angeles put nine shots on Clint Irwin. They out-shot Colorado 21 to 5 and put nine shots on the Rapids’ goal. LA kept 63 percent of the ball, yet the only thing that differentiated them from their guests was a Drew Moor mistake and a penalty conversion from Bradley Cooper:
I guess I shouldn’t proceed as if you know the joke. Galaxy midfielder/forward Mike Magee, who leads Major League Soccer with four goals in this still young campaign, looks like the Silver Linings Playbook star.
Here’s Mike versus the Oscar nominee:
It’s a little disturbing (the un-canniness of the resemblance), but in our defense, we can’t take credit for this idea:
Nice penalty by little Bradley Cooper. Bet you he's got a second goal in him tonight.—
Sacha Kljestan (@SachaKljestan) March 24, 2013
Sacha isn’t the first to come up with the comparison, so hopefully nobody took him up on that bet.
Back to the game. It’s hard to draw too much knowledge from a match which, even before an early second half red card, was lopsided, but while the game was in doubt, there were a couple of things worth talking about:
- What was Drew Moor thinking? I’m trying to look at this from the player’s point of view, hoping to come up with the most generous interpretation possible (given the video is pretty indicting). The only idea that comes to mind supposes Moor was trying to give Marcelo Sarvas a shot across the chest. Instead, he ended up punching Sarvas in the face. The only thing in doubt about Moor’s offense is how long he’ll be out. A suspension’s coming.
- Clint Irwin almost made this worthwhile – Matt Pickens is out with a broken arm, leaving the Rapids’ goalkeeping job to the unproven Clint Irwin. But that label (unproven) won’t last for long if Irwin can replicate Saturday’s performance. Drew Moor wouldn’t have been left to decide this one had Irwin been proved mortal before the 50th minute.
- Juninho as a focal point – We speculated about this in preseason, but particularly with Robbie Keane gone and Landon Donovan in Wisconsin, the Galaxy needed their emerging midfield general to guide them. It’s subtle and other it’s not that even influential, but if you’re familiar with the Galaxy you can see the little ways Juninho, now playing without David Beckham, is becoming a player LA leans on, somebody who can guide the attack when it’s out of idea. His night may have been more steady than stellar, but only 24 years old, Juninho still looks like a future all-star. His expanding role will get him there.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Roughly-translated, it said, “A year of rage to be great again.” That’s good stuff, and the noisy crowd made it even better.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
There were several eyebrow raisers on Matchday 4 even before Sunday’s Rhein Derby and a big Wolfsburg match versus Bayer Leverkusen.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Cameroon will host the ACON for the second time in their history in 2019.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Recaps, videos, reaction and analysis from Saturday’s six games in the PL.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
Brendan Rodgers side lost its third match of the young season and Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United leapfrogged the Reds with a Saturday win.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Saints are flying high early in the season, as preseason predictions of relegation seem to be well wide of the mark.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Can Welbeck and Ozil click and become Arsenal’s main offensive weapons?
Sep 20, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Raheem Stirling has narrowed Liverpool’s deficit to 2-1 at halftime in a Saturday afternoon thriller on NBC.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
“It’s not lost on me that I get accused of being arrogant but I’m also a proud man to be manager of this football club and I’m going to fight to keep it,” Pardew said.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Watch Real’s masterclass, as the Spanish giants batter Deportivo in La Liga.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Clarets and Black Cats still searching for first win of the season after stalemate.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
The loss drops Swansea to fifth place on nine points, while Saints jump into second place with 10 points.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Cisse revealed an undershirt message of “Always looking forward Jonas” for his teammate Gutierrez, who revealed cancer struggles earlier this week.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
Three goals in three first half minutes do the business for Arsene Wenger’s men.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Liverpool will start Fabio Borini and Mario Balotelli up top after their last-gasp Champions League win over Ludogorets midweek.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Ozil and Welbeck rip Villa apart in stunning three-minute spell for the Gunners.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Action at Villa Park, while a Swan sees red at the Liberty.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Both clubs go in search of their first win of the season. Watch live, right here.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Can the Gunners grab their first win since the opening day of the season? Will Villa stay unbeaten? Watch live, right here.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Bafetimbi Gomis has been relegated to the bench for the hosts, while Shane Long gets the start up-top with Graziano Pelle for the Saints.
- Bundesliga wrap: Hamburg holds Bayern; Newly-promoted club atop league 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 1
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0
- Watch live: West Ham United vs. Liverpool (Lineups) 0