Mar 24, 2013, 3:30 AM EDT
Los Angeles put nine shots on Clint Irwin. They out-shot Colorado 21 to 5 and put nine shots on the Rapids’ goal. LA kept 63 percent of the ball, yet the only thing that differentiated them from their guests was a Drew Moor mistake and a penalty conversion from Bradley Cooper:
I guess I shouldn’t proceed as if you know the joke. Galaxy midfielder/forward Mike Magee, who leads Major League Soccer with four goals in this still young campaign, looks like the Silver Linings Playbook star.
Here’s Mike versus the Oscar nominee:
It’s a little disturbing (the un-canniness of the resemblance), but in our defense, we can’t take credit for this idea:
Nice penalty by little Bradley Cooper. Bet you he's got a second goal in him tonight.—
Sacha Kljestan (@SachaKljestan) March 24, 2013
Sacha isn’t the first to come up with the comparison, so hopefully nobody took him up on that bet.
Back to the game. It’s hard to draw too much knowledge from a match which, even before an early second half red card, was lopsided, but while the game was in doubt, there were a couple of things worth talking about:
- What was Drew Moor thinking? I’m trying to look at this from the player’s point of view, hoping to come up with the most generous interpretation possible (given the video is pretty indicting). The only idea that comes to mind supposes Moor was trying to give Marcelo Sarvas a shot across the chest. Instead, he ended up punching Sarvas in the face. The only thing in doubt about Moor’s offense is how long he’ll be out. A suspension’s coming.
- Clint Irwin almost made this worthwhile – Matt Pickens is out with a broken arm, leaving the Rapids’ goalkeeping job to the unproven Clint Irwin. But that label (unproven) won’t last for long if Irwin can replicate Saturday’s performance. Drew Moor wouldn’t have been left to decide this one had Irwin been proved mortal before the 50th minute.
- Juninho as a focal point – We speculated about this in preseason, but particularly with Robbie Keane gone and Landon Donovan in Wisconsin, the Galaxy needed their emerging midfield general to guide them. It’s subtle and other it’s not that even influential, but if you’re familiar with the Galaxy you can see the little ways Juninho, now playing without David Beckham, is becoming a player LA leans on, somebody who can guide the attack when it’s out of idea. His night may have been more steady than stellar, but only 24 years old, Juninho still looks like a future all-star. His expanding role will get him there.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Liverpool looks focused on improving its shape heading into the upcoming Premier League season.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Raul Fernandez held Vancouver to a draw while Portland won a 3-2 barnburner with Montreal.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
This may not be as toast as it first appeared.
Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
With Thibaut Courtois hot on his trail, Petr Cech isn’t about to let the youngster’s hype get in the way of his 11-year Chelsea career.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
AC Milan got hosed, but Mario Balotelli had some fun as a second-half substitute.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
It may have been in jest, but Roberto Martinez has set rumors alight.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Lovern becomes the third Southampton player to move to Liverpool this summer.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
AC Milan got thumped for the second straight US preseason friendly. What does it mean?
Jul 27, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Having played under Redknapp for 2 years at Spurs, the QPR boss wants him back.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
With a good World Cup, Spurs has affirmed the importance of Jan Vertonghen’s presence to their back line.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Pjanic is good at kicking – all kinds of it.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
What Italy needs is an FIGC president that works to prevent racism, not one that uses racist terms when referring to players from elsewhere.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
At 41 years of age, the forward has made a return with Puebla, although he was unable to help his new side break a goalless draw.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The referee handed out eight yellows and sent a Kansas City player off, although they still came back to take all three points.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
The manager can stop worrying — he doesn’t need to keep bringing in multiple trophies to keep his job with the Bavarian giants.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
The New York Red Bulls star and former France international is adopting a wait-and-see approach to the end of his playing career.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
It’s back to QPR for the forward, while Brendan Rodgers will need to seek other options to help compensate for the loss of Luis Suárez.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
It’s official! The Colombia goalkeeper joins the Gunners on a long-term contract, and is expected to make his first appearance next month.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
Internazionale need more firepower up top. United need more depth in midfield. This switch seems like an ideal solution.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:06 AM EDT
The Real Madrid manager seems to enjoy destroying the hopes of players, clubs and fans by putting to rest rumors of summer transfers.
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1