Mar 24, 2013, 3:30 AM EDT
Los Angeles put nine shots on Clint Irwin. They out-shot Colorado 21 to 5 and put nine shots on the Rapids’ goal. LA kept 63 percent of the ball, yet the only thing that differentiated them from their guests was a Drew Moor mistake and a penalty conversion from Bradley Cooper:
I guess I shouldn’t proceed as if you know the joke. Galaxy midfielder/forward Mike Magee, who leads Major League Soccer with four goals in this still young campaign, looks like the Silver Linings Playbook star.
Here’s Mike versus the Oscar nominee:
It’s a little disturbing (the un-canniness of the resemblance), but in our defense, we can’t take credit for this idea:
Nice penalty by little Bradley Cooper. Bet you he's got a second goal in him tonight.—
Sacha Kljestan (@SachaKljestan) March 24, 2013
Sacha isn’t the first to come up with the comparison, so hopefully nobody took him up on that bet.
Back to the game. It’s hard to draw too much knowledge from a match which, even before an early second half red card, was lopsided, but while the game was in doubt, there were a couple of things worth talking about:
- What was Drew Moor thinking? I’m trying to look at this from the player’s point of view, hoping to come up with the most generous interpretation possible (given the video is pretty indicting). The only idea that comes to mind supposes Moor was trying to give Marcelo Sarvas a shot across the chest. Instead, he ended up punching Sarvas in the face. The only thing in doubt about Moor’s offense is how long he’ll be out. A suspension’s coming.
- Clint Irwin almost made this worthwhile – Matt Pickens is out with a broken arm, leaving the Rapids’ goalkeeping job to the unproven Clint Irwin. But that label (unproven) won’t last for long if Irwin can replicate Saturday’s performance. Drew Moor wouldn’t have been left to decide this one had Irwin been proved mortal before the 50th minute.
- Juninho as a focal point – We speculated about this in preseason, but particularly with Robbie Keane gone and Landon Donovan in Wisconsin, the Galaxy needed their emerging midfield general to guide them. It’s subtle and other it’s not that even influential, but if you’re familiar with the Galaxy you can see the little ways Juninho, now playing without David Beckham, is becoming a player LA leans on, somebody who can guide the attack when it’s out of idea. His night may have been more steady than stellar, but only 24 years old, Juninho still looks like a future all-star. His expanding role will get him there.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Is there anything Balotelli can’t do?
Jul 23, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Will Lampard be suiting up at Yankee Stadium for NYC FC next season? We find out Thursday…
Jul 23, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
What would your school look like as a professional soccer team?
Jul 23, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
The show will go on, but not in eastern Ukraine as fighting between pro-Russian rebels and the military continues.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
German boss reveals he will stay on as manager until at least 2016. Can you smell a dynasty?
Jul 23, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Substance over style: Barca sign towering defender from La Liga rivals Valencia.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Will the Mexican international be moving on this summer?
Jul 23, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Aspas to Spanish radio: “They are treating Luis like a murderer and not like a footballer.”
Jul 23, 2014, 8:07 AM EDT
Cole: “People were killing me about possibly playing in the USA, saying it’s for the money and easy lifestyle, I choose to play in a more demanding place and team.”
Jul 23, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
Van Gaal: “You have to fly a lot, you also have jetlag – that is not very positive for a good preparation. The tour was already arranged so I have to adapt.”
Jul 22, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
Business up front. Defense in the rear.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
L.A. Galaxy Insider report also speculates that Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez could take a Designated Player spot in Major League Soccer if he leaves Old Trafford.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
“It’s obviously a shame he’s not here, but Liverpool is a club that’s bigger as any individual,” Rodgers said from Fenway Park.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Inter Milan and Queens Park Rangers have swooped in for two of the Bluebirds’ best players, and Vincent Tan probably isn’t too happy.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Shaw speaks to PST: “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. I didn’t think twice when they wanted to sign me.”
Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
When a guy many consider a footballing genius gives the United States coach praise, that’s a pretty cool feather in Klinsmann’s cap.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Premier Leaguers in the U.S. on Tuesday = A day of open training sessions, autographs, football helmets and golf clubs.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The 19-year-old is a promising prospect, but is dealing with negative headlines after being subject to abuse on Tuesday in Croatia.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Fraser Forster will be sticking at Celtic, for now, after Southampton reportedly lowballed the Scottish powers.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hand on shoulder, hair-coiffed, warm smile… next! Becks makes the rounds on the United’s U.S. tour.
- New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard? 0
- PHOTOS: What if your college was a professional soccer team? They could look like this 5
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 1
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 3
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 3
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 4