Mar 24, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
We certainly learned in 2012 that MLS teams can overcome a difficult start and still march on to glory.
We absolutely, most certainly learned that Bruce Arena’s Galaxy can overcome a troubled start. We were all scratching the Galaxy from our contenders’ list last May as that pitiful launch to the 2012 MLS season kept smelling worse and worse.
Lesson learned, obviously, as the Galaxy successfully defended its 2011 championship, getting its act together in time to make the playoffs and then take the MLS Cup.
So nobody should get anywhere near the panic button over today’s news of Robbie Keane’s injury … although this does throw yet another monkey into the Galaxy wrench.
Keane has been ruled out of the Republic of Ireland’s critical World Cup qualifier Tuesday against Austria. The Galaxy and Ireland international striker has a calf injury.
The overall Galaxy way is so inextricably tied into Designated Players; now they won’t have any of them for a while. David Beckham is off and rolling with Paris St. Germain, yet to be replaced. Landon Donovan will return to team activities this week, but won’t be anywhere near playing shape for a while.
And now Keane, the league’s top forward over the last few months, is on the shelf.
Keep an eye on this one, because a big pressure point here is the upcoming CONCACAF Champions League semifinal series against Monterrey. The first leg is April 3 in Southern California; the return leg is seven days later in Monterrey.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear