Mar 24, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
We certainly learned in 2012 that MLS teams can overcome a difficult start and still march on to glory.
We absolutely, most certainly learned that Bruce Arena’s Galaxy can overcome a troubled start. We were all scratching the Galaxy from our contenders’ list last May as that pitiful launch to the 2012 MLS season kept smelling worse and worse.
Lesson learned, obviously, as the Galaxy successfully defended its 2011 championship, getting its act together in time to make the playoffs and then take the MLS Cup.
So nobody should get anywhere near the panic button over today’s news of Robbie Keane’s injury … although this does throw yet another monkey into the Galaxy wrench.
Keane has been ruled out of the Republic of Ireland’s critical World Cup qualifier Tuesday against Austria. The Galaxy and Ireland international striker has a calf injury.
The overall Galaxy way is so inextricably tied into Designated Players; now they won’t have any of them for a while. David Beckham is off and rolling with Paris St. Germain, yet to be replaced. Landon Donovan will return to team activities this week, but won’t be anywhere near playing shape for a while.
And now Keane, the league’s top forward over the last few months, is on the shelf.
Keep an eye on this one, because a big pressure point here is the upcoming CONCACAF Champions League semifinal series against Monterrey. The first leg is April 3 in Southern California; the return leg is seven days later in Monterrey.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy