Mar 25, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
One of Major League Soccer’s bright, young homegrown prospects is doing a lot of things right these days.
Ben Speas, 22, just scored his first professional goal, in just his fourth pro match. It rated as a highly significant one, too, the 58th minute match-winner in his Crew’s 2-1 win Saturday at D.C. United. That was quite an accomplishment considering United had not lost at home in 18 consecutive contests.
Speas has looked good this year, making it difficult for Robert Warzycha to keep him off the field. As a home-grown signing, fans were already in the young man’s corner, hoping he could work his way up the roster. He’s moving steadily in that direction.
But it’s what Speas did after his goal Saturday that speaks well of the man, rather than just the emerging talent.
Seven months ago the team was in Washington, D.C., when players learned of Kirk Urso’s sudden death due to a heart condition. Urso was a well-liked rookie, and the tragedy landed with significant impact to everyone inside the Crew locker room. Returning to Washington promised to be an emotional time.
After Saturday’s match, Speas talked about what the goal meant, not just for the victory in a season that continues to hold promise for Warzycha’s team, but for larger things still. He dedicated the goal to Urso, who was also Speas’ teammate at the University of North Carolina.
This is the place we found out about Kirk, so it was pretty emotional. I thought about that yesterday and I knew my first goal was going to be to him and I wanted to get it today. It’s just special.”
Speas’ goal is here:
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1