Mar 25, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
One of Major League Soccer’s bright, young homegrown prospects is doing a lot of things right these days.
Ben Speas, 22, just scored his first professional goal, in just his fourth pro match. It rated as a highly significant one, too, the 58th minute match-winner in his Crew’s 2-1 win Saturday at D.C. United. That was quite an accomplishment considering United had not lost at home in 18 consecutive contests.
Speas has looked good this year, making it difficult for Robert Warzycha to keep him off the field. As a home-grown signing, fans were already in the young man’s corner, hoping he could work his way up the roster. He’s moving steadily in that direction.
But it’s what Speas did after his goal Saturday that speaks well of the man, rather than just the emerging talent.
Seven months ago the team was in Washington, D.C., when players learned of Kirk Urso’s sudden death due to a heart condition. Urso was a well-liked rookie, and the tragedy landed with significant impact to everyone inside the Crew locker room. Returning to Washington promised to be an emotional time.
After Saturday’s match, Speas talked about what the goal meant, not just for the victory in a season that continues to hold promise for Warzycha’s team, but for larger things still. He dedicated the goal to Urso, who was also Speas’ teammate at the University of North Carolina.
This is the place we found out about Kirk, so it was pretty emotional. I thought about that yesterday and I knew my first goal was going to be to him and I wanted to get it today. It’s just special.”
Speas’ goal is here:
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 0
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 2
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 1
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 4