Mar 25, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
With his arrival at Stamford Bridge on Monday, Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari claimed that he was not provided enough time at Chelsea to succeed before being sacked in February 2009.
Hmmmm, that sounds vaguely familiar, doesn’t it?
During Big Phil’s reign in West London he was cruising through the 2008-09 season with his club fourth in the Premier League table and still in both the FA Cup and Champions League when Roman Abramovich dropped the guillotine and brought in Guus Hiddink (after a 1 match caretaker stint by Ray Wilkins) to finish out the season.
When asked whether he was given sufficient time at Chelsea, Scolari said: “I don’t think so but it was a decision from the management.” He also lamented, “I believe my time at Chelsea was not as bad as people have been talking about.”
Anonymous reports – which Sporting News‘ Brian Krause has given me the nod of journalistic approval to print – say that as the Brazil boss muttered these words, Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti, Andre Villas-Boas and Roberto di Matteo collectively threw their hands in the air and screamed ‘No, no, no, I was the one who wasn’t given enough time at Chelsea!!‘
Regardless of Abramovich’s lack of appreciation for Scolari, he still has a friend in everyone’s favorite West London geezer, David Luiz. The Chelsea defender, always eager to offer his insightful opinions on topics that he may or may not have first-hand knowledge of, said: “I’m sure [Scolari] is happy to come back here because regardless of what happened here he has very good memories.” He continued, “What I have heard, having asked around, is Scolari had a great time, regardless of what happened.”
The good times at the Bridge continue Monday when Scolari and Luiz look to improve on their country’s unsightly FIFA World Ranking of #18 when they take on Fabio Capello’s Russia.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1