Mar 26, 2013, 5:29 PM EST
As Kasey Keller notes in this video, for a long period of time, the U.S. seemed to have Mexico’s number. The results paint a slightly different picture, one that saw each team dominate on home soil, but between the Round of 16 win at the 2002 World Cup and the number of other matches that would take place in the States, you can see why Team USA developed a confidence when it came to Mexico. Particularly given where the States were coming from — the wilderness that was pre-1990 U.S. Soccer — you can understand why the generation of players that led the U.S. to some relative halcyon days takes enormous pride in what they accomplished.
And if you’re around an old national teamer and the topic comes up, the pride still burns. The rivalry is still there. It isn’t something that they file away only to bring out when the cameras turn on. As former captain Claudio Reyna said to me once, “[Mexico] still act like we weren’t beating them.”
Here, in U.S. Soccer’s 100 Moments series on YouTube, Cobi Jones, Eddie Pope, Eddie Lewis, Kasey Keller and Alexi Lalas talk about the rivalry they helped build … Just part of your primer before tonight’s match at Azteca.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Eight teams have booked their places in the knockout rounds, while three clubs got their tickets to Europa League.
A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off
Dec 10, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
He wanted a team that imposed rather than reacted – tactically AND in mental approach. Good thing after what happened Friday:
Dec 10, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Saying that Dimitar Berbatov has been underwhelming this season would be kind.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
Manchester City’s comeback from two down gives Pellegrini his first win over Guardiola, though Bayern still claim Group D.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
The 1-0 win will help vent some of the mounting pressure off David Moyes and his men, at least for now:
Dec 10, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Tuesday’s match in Istanbul was suspended after 31 minutes when a flash hail storm halted Galatasaray-Juventus.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
There was a time at Toronto when Frei stood out among the best of Major League Soccer goalkeepers:
Dec 10, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
What a weekend it was in the Barclays Premier League. Here’s the Team of the Week:
Dec 10, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
The 37-year-old leaves a legacy that includes a MLS Cup championship in 2010, nine MLS All-Star appearances and two World Cups.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
If they decide to build a new home for the Blaugrana it’s expected to cost in the region of $412 million.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
“We have an agreement to extend the loan for an extra year if Barcelona don’t need Deulofeu,” Martinez admitted following the draw at the Emirates.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:32 AM EST
The Anderlecht man attributed the diagnosis to growing up in California where the sun shines strong throughout the year.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:40 AM EST
It’s believed Eto’o will move to Los Angeles Galaxy, DC United and Club Deportivo Chivas USA, Seattle Sounders or Chicago Fire.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:53 AM EST
Groups A through D finish on Tuesday, with the tournament’s holders and England’s champions hoping to clinch top spots.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Whoever is next up in the Whitecaps’ managerial seat would surely love to have a 22-goal scorer to build around:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Still a highly regarded goalkeeper, Nielsen calls it quits just 48 hours after winning MLS Cup 2013:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Might the wandering Goats actually do something right?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Once again, Major League Soccer will become the globe’s first league to employ the new World Cup match ball:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Chicago’s Chris Rolfe, Houston’s Bobby Boswell, Seattle’s Steve Zakuani among the intriguing options:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
Don’t miss the last save from the package, an absolute show-stopper from Aston Villa’s U.S. international Brad Guzan:
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014