Mar 29, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Now that the Snow Clasico is but a cherished memory, and now that the hard work has been done for Stars and Stripes soccer down in smoggy ol’ Mexico City, the men of the United States national team must get back to making a buck.
As to whether they will actually get on the field … let’s talk about that.
Brad Guzan will surely be in Aston Villa goal for the relegation-threatened side’s Easter clash with Liverpool. Listen to the U.S. goalkeeper with two recent (and immeasurably valuable) shutouts talk about his next EPL match here.
Stoke City makes a short trip north to Liverpool to meet Everton, so we’ll see if Geoff Cameron gets his usual starting spot along the Potters’ back line following two taxing matches and extensive travel, and whether Brek Shea makes the bench for Saturday’s match Goodison Park. By stamping “high-priority” on his team’s four remaining home matches, manager Tony Pulis has declared these road tests as opportunities for “bonus points.”
It might be a little surprising if Clint Dempsey starts for Tottenham given the Texans’ hard work at high altitude and tough travel over the past eight days, especially when he was just coming off injury. Plus, Aaron Lennon’s return from injury gives Spurs one additional (and well-rested) attacking option for Saturday’s date with Swansea at the Liberty Stadium.
Then again, 12 Spurs were away on international duty over the past week, so who knows what kind of lineup Andre Villas-Boas may have to field against the surprising Swans?
Five MLS men took part in Tuesday’s 0-0 draw in Mexico City, including two starters from Sporting Kansas City. Graham Zusi and Matt Besler were both in Jurgen Klinamann’s lineup at Azteca, and will now be in a race to get their legs back in times for Saturday’s outside Kansas City with Montreal. The Impact, perfect through four MLS matches, are about the best story in Major League Soccer’s young season.
What Besler told MLSSoccer.com’s Extra Time radio Thursday about whether he and Zusi can get the starting assignment Saturday:
We both want to be. We practiced today, me and Graham were both doing regen [regeneration work], trying to get our bodies back. So it’s just going to be a question of how we feel tomorrow, and then we are going to make the final decision tomorrow. But just knowing me and Graham, we both really, really want to be on the field on Saturday.”
“We were talking on the flight back from Mexico City about how excited we are to play Montreal at home, how we really want to take it to these guys and give them their first loss this year.”
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 0
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint