Mar 29, 2013, 8:22 AM EDT
At this point, if we don’t all know what Brand Beckham is all about, then the joke is on us.
Apparently, former France international Bixente Lizarazu was not paying attention over the last few years as David Beckham frequently treated the LA Galaxy as his little side gig, clearly second fiddle to building and maintaining the iconic brand.
Lizarazu – if the guy is still in soccer, I can’t find evidence of it – found someone interested in what he has to say. So he took the opportunity to beat on Beckham a little for jet-setting over to China before next week’s huge Champions League clash; Beckham’s Paris Saint-Germain faces Barcelona in the marquee UEFA semifinal.
What Lizarazu told TF1:
I am sorry, but travelling to China to promote football only 10 days before the most important game of the season is simply not the right way to prepare. No other club would allow one of their players to go on a trip like this. It’s unprofessional.”
Uh, well, actually we know that one club did exactly that. The Galaxy generally acquiesced when Beckham wanted to go to his next royal wedding, modeling gig, Olympic event, etc.
PSG manager Carlo Ancelotti, by the way, wasn’t too worked up about it. He said Beckham returned on Wednesday and missed just one training session.
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 1
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0
- US Vice President Joe Biden to attend USWNT’s World Cup final vs. Japan 1
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5