Mar 30, 2013, 10:56 PM EST
File this under “Hardly a State Secret:” the Houston Dynamo are darn hard to beat at home.
Twas always so, going back to the Spartan ground on the University of Houston campus in a very rough part of town.
Everyone around MLS knows that Houston is among the toughest places ever in MLS to go get points. Dominic Kinnear’s team may not always be the most technically proficient – although he has a very skillful bunch at the moment, especially in midfield – but the team’s hallmark competiveness has always driven the Dynamo effort.
Throw in the narrow field that fits so well with the Dynamo way, and Kinnear’s team can always teach the MLS field about how to make things tough at your home ground.
Now, it’s official.
The Dynamo’s 2-0 win over San Jose matched a league record; Houston has gone 34 consecutive matches across all competitions without a loss. That matches Real Salt Lake’s record unbeaten streak at home, one that Jason Kreis’ teams built from 2009-2011.
Saturday’s match at BBVA Compass Stadium, where the Dynamo are yet to lose, was notable for one other reason:
Chris Wondolowski had a quiet night. Again. The Dynamo remain the one and only MLS club against which Wonder Wondo has yet to strike. So, that’s 18 with a check mark, one with a big red “X.”
(Tomorrow, we’ll have a little more to say about the team Kinnear has assembled this year.)
Goals by Will Bruin and Giles Barnes (pictured) were the difference Saturday. The top highlight from the match at BBVA Compass Stadium (with the rest coming as soon as the package is available):
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 2
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 1
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 1
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2