Mar 30, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
It’s still troubling to see all those empty seats at BMO Field, once the gold standard in passionate MLS support.
Hopefully the fans who have abandoned TFC (or stashed their scarves for the time being) will recognize that a better product can be found these days along Exhibition Place, where Ryan Nelsen has the Reds organized and working hard for one another.
Unfortunately, Nelsen and his side still have miles to go in terms of getting the personnel where it needs to be, and in teaching the team how to manage matches and situations.
We saw it all there Saturday as TFC gave up an early goal, rallied to take a lead and held that margin until stoppage time. But a mistake in the back gave young Galaxy attacker Jose Villareal a chance to demonstrate his opportunism and his athleticism.
His late goal was the equalizer in a 2-2 draw at BMO Field.
Here are a few quick thoughts, followed by the highlights.
- Richard Eckersley, once a right back, then a center back and then a right back again – he’s now apparently a left back.
- We’ve mentioned before about how TFC still needs more quality in several areas, something club president Kevin Payne is presumably addressing. One is right I the middle of the park, where TFC were clearly outmanned over stretches Saturday. Juninho and Marcelo Sarvas – good MLS midfield men, but not great – mostly had their way through the center.
- Donovan (pictured from Satruday)? Meh. Then again, what did we expect? Getting him on the field was about elevating his fitness, as much as anything.
- TFC was just not a bit creative for most of Saturday afternoon. Luis Silva’s second-half introduction helped (and a clever little something surely helped on TFC’s second goal), but the Reds need more imagination. So far, too many of the TFC goals tends to rise out of Robert Earnshaw’s opportunism.
- Hard to say what TFC defender Darel Russell might have been thinking with a “clearing” header that he put right back in front of his own goal in stoppage time. Anywhere else and the Reds probably get all three points. A draw against the champs, even at home, isn’t terrible for TFC. But conceding a late equalizer (losing two points in the process) is a real bummer, and surely feels like a loss for Nelsen and Co.
Highlights of Saturday’s match:
Mar 30, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
The 42-year-old’s 126th career goal is a world record.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
The 27-year-old Belgian saw a picture that touched him enough to reach out.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
After being knocked unconscious by a flare, the Russian shot-stopper will be fit to play a crucial league match this weekend.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT
England has refrained from bidding for World Cups since their relationship with Sepp Blatter has soured, but that could change in the next vote or two.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
Barcelona striker Neymar was furious with former Premier League defender Gary Medel, who clattered him hard during the first half of a physical match.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT
The 26-year-old scored for the Mexican team this weekend, but remains frustrated at the club level.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
Are Saints about to lose another young star to one of the Premier League’s “big five?” We’ll find out this summer.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Kane will join England’s U-21 squad for this summer’s European Championship.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
No fun for 70 minutes, and then the final 20 happened. TFC’s criminally disallowed goal was the only difference in this one.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
There’s a real reason, other than “easy schedule,” for England’s improved performances since the World Cup.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Harry Shipp. Harry Shipp. Harry Shipp.
Mar 29, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Sterling isn’t interested in negotiating a new deal until the summer — even if it’s for $270,000/week — and a few reassurances are made.
Mar 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Who’s on top of Groups D, F and I at the halfway point?
Mar 29, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
Luis Suarez was candid as ever after Gerrard’s charity match, and he opened up the possibility of a Premier League return down the road.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Thierry Henry showed off his sparkling passing skills at Steven Gerrard’s testimonial.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT
The United States loses one of their goalscorers from Friday’s friendly, but now it’s a youngster’s turn to make a statement.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
A whopping turnaround, led by owner Katharina Liebherr, has taken place at St. Mary’s and the financial evidence is there.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
If Adnan Januzaj wants to make a return to the Belgium squad, he must focus on earning playing time at his club first.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT
An agreement has reportedly been reached between the current American owner and a domestic ownership group.
- British exec says England could look towards 2030 World Cup bid 0
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Toronto FC 2
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Germany back on track; Portugal beat Serbia, go top 0
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 1
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0