As Galaxy target, Andrei Arshavin do anything for anybody?

Apr 1, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT

Poland v Russia - Group A: UEFA EURO 2012 Getty Images

Russian international Andrei Arshavin, once a high-value target who never quite became what Arsenal dreamed of, is the subject of European rumors about a potential move to the LA Galaxy.

Here is where I add the standard Euro rumor disclaimer: dangling MLS as a potential landing zone sits near the front of the European rep’s playbook when trying to work the deals abroad.

That dutifully said, there’s this.

The reports say Arshavin, 31, a tricky and skillful attacker with a useful burst of speed, has become a primary Galaxy target.

Crucial in all this (perhaps true, perhaps not … we’ll see) is that Arshavin would be allowed to move without a transfer fee. That would make the Russian attacker measurably more attractive to the Galaxy – or to a lot of clubs, for that matter.

That’s not so hard to buy given the player’s fractured relationship with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

Bruce Arena’s team remains on the hunt for David Beckham’s replacement; along with Landon Donovan and Irish international Robbie Keane, that would fill up the Galaxy allotment of Designated Players.

Moving one link further on this DP chain, all of that would mean no Frank Lampard. The longtime  Chelsea man is / isn’t / was / is again a Galaxy target, depending on whom you believe and how much pressure is currently raining down on Stamford Bridge deciders to keep the West London institution in Chelsea blue for one more year.

Would Arshavin be a fit for the Galaxy and MLS? Sure … so long as he was interested in playing soccer and not overly fascinated by the glitz, glamour and zippity do da of the sunny So-Cal lifestyle.

Arshavin arrived into Arsenal from Zenit Saint Petersburg in February 2009 (for more than $25 million dollars, an enormous sum considering Gunners’ new day of relative austerity) and did land in North London with substantial impact. But his influence soon waned and the Russian attacker soon became a peripheral figure around the stately Emirates.

Arshavin, virtually on Arsenal exile, has been on loan to Zenit for much of the past year and change.

1. dfstell - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Can’t say I see this as a great fit. Surely Galaxy can do better. Some of his problem has been a lack of enthusiasm. One thing all DPs from big European leagues need to learn is that you’ll probably have to work a little harder in MLS. Not only is it a fast and physical league, but when you’re teammates aren’t quite as good and not as technical, it falls more on the DP to fill the gaps.

2. soccerjohn - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I was enamored with Arshavin’s game when I became aware of him some years ago, but that was before he moved to Arsenal and I got to see him play more than once in a blue moon. My sense of him since then is that he’s petulant and soft. I think he’s exactly the kind of shiny bauble who’d quickly lose his luster in MLS. Lampard’s got way more wear on him, but I’d expect him to be a much more productive contributor.

3. danielofthedale - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

As an Arsenal fan and someone who does not like the Galaxy I would love to see this since he seems to be pretty washed up now. That said I have to believe this is just an April Fools thing.

4. rico4 - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM

As an Arsenal supporter, I’d say that if he was motivated, he could do well in MLS. But I agree with some of the points brought up in the first two comments – he’s not the kind of guy who can do the heavy lifting or make things happen on a tough night, and he doesn’t really seem like Arena’s kind of guy. Also, I get the feeling that he’s the kind of guy who would love the “glitz, glamour and zippity do da of the sunny So-Cal lifestyle.” I think the common belief is he’s still at Arsenal because he loves living in north London.

5. goonah4life - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I will always remember Arshavin’s 4 goals at Anfield and his game winner in Champions League against Barcelona. Those are unfortunately distant memories.

The fat teddy bear would probably flop at Galaxy just as badly as he has the last two seasons at Arsenal. Put a fork in him, he’s DONE!

• goonah4life - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

And minor correction, Arshavin had a brief loan spell back to Zenit last spring but has been back at the Emirates since the summer. You just haven’t noticed cause he rarely even makes the team sheet, he’s usually too busy stuffing his face on Donner Kebob.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals