Apr 2, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
One way or another, former U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra needs a change of career address. And how.
Things have gone seriously sideways for the veteran defender at Racing Santander, which became Bocanegra’s port of refuge in the huge financial storm battering Scottish giant Rangers last year. Rangers lost most of their higher paid players, including the U.S. international, who went on loan to the Spanish second division club.
But Racing is struggling, even in Spain’s second tier. Unless the current table shifts over the remaining few weeks, Racing will tumble into Spain’s third tier.
Combined with coaching changes this year, which are surely wrapped somehow into Bocanegra’s inability to get games recently for the club … suffice to say, the man needs to move on.
It would be wonderful to see Bocanegra finish where he started, in Major League Soccer. “Boca” was cop in the beat for Chicago over four seasons prior to joining Fulham in 2004.
But Rangers may have other plans. According to the Scottish Sun, manager Ally McCoist wants Bocanegra back at Ibrox.
To no one’s surprise, Rangers are running away with the Scottish Division 3 crown. (That’s actually Scotland’s fourth tier.) McCoist says they will need further reinforcement to maintain the steady climb back into Scotland’s Premier League, and getting Bocanegra for the last two years of his Ibrox contract is apparently a big ingredient in the manager’s recipe for doing so.
Bocanegra has been in the news so much lately, of course, mostly about his declining place in the U.S. national team scene.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes