Apr 2, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
One way or another, former U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra needs a change of career address. And how.
Things have gone seriously sideways for the veteran defender at Racing Santander, which became Bocanegra’s port of refuge in the huge financial storm battering Scottish giant Rangers last year. Rangers lost most of their higher paid players, including the U.S. international, who went on loan to the Spanish second division club.
But Racing is struggling, even in Spain’s second tier. Unless the current table shifts over the remaining few weeks, Racing will tumble into Spain’s third tier.
Combined with coaching changes this year, which are surely wrapped somehow into Bocanegra’s inability to get games recently for the club … suffice to say, the man needs to move on.
It would be wonderful to see Bocanegra finish where he started, in Major League Soccer. “Boca” was cop in the beat for Chicago over four seasons prior to joining Fulham in 2004.
But Rangers may have other plans. According to the Scottish Sun, manager Ally McCoist wants Bocanegra back at Ibrox.
To no one’s surprise, Rangers are running away with the Scottish Division 3 crown. (That’s actually Scotland’s fourth tier.) McCoist says they will need further reinforcement to maintain the steady climb back into Scotland’s Premier League, and getting Bocanegra for the last two years of his Ibrox contract is apparently a big ingredient in the manager’s recipe for doing so.
Bocanegra has been in the news so much lately, of course, mostly about his declining place in the U.S. national team scene.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1