Apr 2, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Following Round 5 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement.
10. D.C. United – A home loss in Round 4 to Columbus is difficult to assess, mostly because Columbus isn’t bad at all. This much we do know: Dwayne De Rosario has to get himself going – otherwise this team is going nowhere. This week’s test at Sporting Kansas City certainly won’t be easy.
9. San Jose Earthquakes – Anyone remember about this time last year, when myself and others continued to discount a growing list of victories for Frank Yallop’s Earthquakes, unable to fully buy in? Well, it’s the opposite this year. Things aren’t going so swell (a rather meek loss at Houston over the weekend represent the latest evidence), but the boys from Buck Shaw have earned some benefit of the doubt. The 2-2-1 record certainly isn’t the stuff of a Supporters Shield defense in 2013, but let’s talk again when they get a couple more of the walking wounded back on the grass.
8. Columbus – A week off (which will help Eddie Gaven more fully recuperate from a recent injury setback) to prepare for a visit from young Philadelphia? Yep, Robert Warzycha’s men have to take advantage of that.
7. Sporting Kansas City – Benny Feilhaber – where you been, man? That was some kind of two-assist performance of yours last Saturday, the one that helped take down Montreal for the first time this year.
6. Real Salt Lake – Watching Luis Gil, Sebastian Velaquez and Devon Sandoval operate around Rio Tinto in last week’s commanding win over Seattle (Well, OK, “commanding” for a half, at least) says great things about the development initiative going on in Utah. Everyone can sign home growns and draft raw talent, but RSL is getting worthy production from the trio of youngsters.
5. FC Dallas – Blas Perez came off the bench to supply the big goal last week in a win over New England. But just as important has been Michel’s introduction into the midfield, in a dual holding role alongside Andrew Jacobson. Peruvian international Raul Fernandez had a good night, too, in the shutout at Gillette Stadium.
4. Chivas USA – We like our crow with really good grill marks, bathed tastefully in a delicious, fresh chimmichurri sauce. Until further notice, “El Chelis” and Chivas USA register as A-OK in our book. Most of the success has come at the Home Depot Center, but a big Round 4 win at Chicago demonstrates that the Goats can travel, too.
3. Montreal Impact – One stinker (at a highly motivated Sporting Kansas City) cannot undo all the good that Marco Schallibaum and his Impact did over four previous round in MLS. They get a week to recover before easing into a mild April, when the club has just three matches, including two at home.
2. Houston Dynamo – How far will this streak go? Dominic Kinnear’s team is unbeaten in 34 contests (in all competitions) at home. One more and they no longer share the league mark; they will own it. The record-setter could come April 14 at BBVA against Chicago. Of course, a meeting with Portland up in Oregon is up first on Saturday.
1. LA Galaxy – Remember this name (if you haven’t already): Jose Villarreal (pictured above). The young forward has already left a mark on the champs’ 2013 season, striking spectacularly in stoppage time Saturday to help his team split the points in Toronto. Oh, and Landon Donovan is back. Or maybe you heard. Bruce Arena’s team will need him in this CONCACAF Champions League semifinal series starting this week.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
They’re both stars, both taking elective leave from their national team. That’s where the similarities end between Donovan and Howard.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A new starter will have his chance to stake his claim, while another player will get more looks in camp with the third keeper’s role.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The 35-year-old is taking a step back, making himself unavailable for selection until Sept. 2015.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
LMA statement: “These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.”
Aug 21, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Exciting attacker arrives at Loftus Road for the 2014-15 season.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Despite being eligible to play for his country, Suarez left off Uruguay’s roster.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Khedira turns down new deal at Real. Will the Spaniards cash in on him now?
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Former Liverpool star could be heading to United as Real Madrid seek to trim squad.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Spurs boss in dramatic U-turn on Europa League after previously dismissing tournament.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Leiweke to leave MLSE, as leading sports executive calls it quits in Toronto.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
After trailing 3-1, LA came roaring back to win 4-3 as Donovan bagged the winner.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 4
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 6
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3