Apr 2, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Following Round 5 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement.
10. D.C. United – A home loss in Round 4 to Columbus is difficult to assess, mostly because Columbus isn’t bad at all. This much we do know: Dwayne De Rosario has to get himself going – otherwise this team is going nowhere. This week’s test at Sporting Kansas City certainly won’t be easy.
9. San Jose Earthquakes – Anyone remember about this time last year, when myself and others continued to discount a growing list of victories for Frank Yallop’s Earthquakes, unable to fully buy in? Well, it’s the opposite this year. Things aren’t going so swell (a rather meek loss at Houston over the weekend represent the latest evidence), but the boys from Buck Shaw have earned some benefit of the doubt. The 2-2-1 record certainly isn’t the stuff of a Supporters Shield defense in 2013, but let’s talk again when they get a couple more of the walking wounded back on the grass.
8. Columbus – A week off (which will help Eddie Gaven more fully recuperate from a recent injury setback) to prepare for a visit from young Philadelphia? Yep, Robert Warzycha’s men have to take advantage of that.
7. Sporting Kansas City – Benny Feilhaber – where you been, man? That was some kind of two-assist performance of yours last Saturday, the one that helped take down Montreal for the first time this year.
6. Real Salt Lake – Watching Luis Gil, Sebastian Velaquez and Devon Sandoval operate around Rio Tinto in last week’s commanding win over Seattle (Well, OK, “commanding” for a half, at least) says great things about the development initiative going on in Utah. Everyone can sign home growns and draft raw talent, but RSL is getting worthy production from the trio of youngsters.
5. FC Dallas – Blas Perez came off the bench to supply the big goal last week in a win over New England. But just as important has been Michel’s introduction into the midfield, in a dual holding role alongside Andrew Jacobson. Peruvian international Raul Fernandez had a good night, too, in the shutout at Gillette Stadium.
4. Chivas USA – We like our crow with really good grill marks, bathed tastefully in a delicious, fresh chimmichurri sauce. Until further notice, “El Chelis” and Chivas USA register as A-OK in our book. Most of the success has come at the Home Depot Center, but a big Round 4 win at Chicago demonstrates that the Goats can travel, too.
3. Montreal Impact – One stinker (at a highly motivated Sporting Kansas City) cannot undo all the good that Marco Schallibaum and his Impact did over four previous round in MLS. They get a week to recover before easing into a mild April, when the club has just three matches, including two at home.
2. Houston Dynamo – How far will this streak go? Dominic Kinnear’s team is unbeaten in 34 contests (in all competitions) at home. One more and they no longer share the league mark; they will own it. The record-setter could come April 14 at BBVA against Chicago. Of course, a meeting with Portland up in Oregon is up first on Saturday.
1. LA Galaxy – Remember this name (if you haven’t already): Jose Villarreal (pictured above). The young forward has already left a mark on the champs’ 2013 season, striking spectacularly in stoppage time Saturday to help his team split the points in Toronto. Oh, and Landon Donovan is back. Or maybe you heard. Bruce Arena’s team will need him in this CONCACAF Champions League semifinal series starting this week.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Take a bow, Benteke. Take a bow.
Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game
Aug 2, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Chelsea boss hits out at Gunners as he loses to Wenger for first time in 14 attempts.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
The long-time spat between the managers of Arsenal and Chelsea rumbles on.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Catch up on all the latest transfer rumors and gossip, right here.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
Wenger finally beats Mourinho, while the Blues have some issues up front.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Arsenal takes claim to the Community Shield as Arsene Wenger has finally defeated Jose Mourinho.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
The Gunners took a 1-0 first half lead over Chelsea in the FA Community Shield thanks to a classy finish from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
In the City of Brotherly Love, it was only fitting that the Wright-Phillips boys led New York to a victory.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT
There’s a legitimate chance that Roy Keane has never taken a picture with his cell phone.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:12 AM EDT
Manchester United’s Di Maria experiment is all but over, and it’s going to cost them $20 million.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:02 AM EDT
That’s 7 losses in 8 games for the Sounders. Meanwhile, the ‘Caps go top of the West.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Another Royal Rumble between old rivals. While the rest of MLS went goal-crazy, these two did what they always do.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
The goals floweth over in MLS tonight. Cyle Larin scored his second straight brace for Orlando City.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
D.C. United and RSL combined for 10 goals at RFK Stadium Saturday night. Let the video do the talking.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
The Premier League season is here…almost. The final week of preseason has begun.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
The new seasons in Germany and France are underway following an afternoon full of Super Cup action.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
It’s not been the greatest week of Miguel Herrera’s life. He’s in legal trouble yet again.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Another wild afternoon at Yankee Stadium ends in defeat for NYCFC. Pirlo made his first MLS start and Lampard made his MLS debut.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Can Spurs crack the top four? Or will it be another season on the outside looking in at White Hart Lane?
Aug 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Wenger has never beaten Mourinho before, but he’ll have a chance to do so tomorrow in the Community Shield.
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 0
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 0
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 2