Apr 2, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Following Round 5 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement.
10. D.C. United – A home loss in Round 4 to Columbus is difficult to assess, mostly because Columbus isn’t bad at all. This much we do know: Dwayne De Rosario has to get himself going – otherwise this team is going nowhere. This week’s test at Sporting Kansas City certainly won’t be easy.
9. San Jose Earthquakes – Anyone remember about this time last year, when myself and others continued to discount a growing list of victories for Frank Yallop’s Earthquakes, unable to fully buy in? Well, it’s the opposite this year. Things aren’t going so swell (a rather meek loss at Houston over the weekend represent the latest evidence), but the boys from Buck Shaw have earned some benefit of the doubt. The 2-2-1 record certainly isn’t the stuff of a Supporters Shield defense in 2013, but let’s talk again when they get a couple more of the walking wounded back on the grass.
8. Columbus – A week off (which will help Eddie Gaven more fully recuperate from a recent injury setback) to prepare for a visit from young Philadelphia? Yep, Robert Warzycha’s men have to take advantage of that.
7. Sporting Kansas City – Benny Feilhaber – where you been, man? That was some kind of two-assist performance of yours last Saturday, the one that helped take down Montreal for the first time this year.
6. Real Salt Lake – Watching Luis Gil, Sebastian Velaquez and Devon Sandoval operate around Rio Tinto in last week’s commanding win over Seattle (Well, OK, “commanding” for a half, at least) says great things about the development initiative going on in Utah. Everyone can sign home growns and draft raw talent, but RSL is getting worthy production from the trio of youngsters.
5. FC Dallas – Blas Perez came off the bench to supply the big goal last week in a win over New England. But just as important has been Michel’s introduction into the midfield, in a dual holding role alongside Andrew Jacobson. Peruvian international Raul Fernandez had a good night, too, in the shutout at Gillette Stadium.
4. Chivas USA – We like our crow with really good grill marks, bathed tastefully in a delicious, fresh chimmichurri sauce. Until further notice, “El Chelis” and Chivas USA register as A-OK in our book. Most of the success has come at the Home Depot Center, but a big Round 4 win at Chicago demonstrates that the Goats can travel, too.
3. Montreal Impact – One stinker (at a highly motivated Sporting Kansas City) cannot undo all the good that Marco Schallibaum and his Impact did over four previous round in MLS. They get a week to recover before easing into a mild April, when the club has just three matches, including two at home.
2. Houston Dynamo – How far will this streak go? Dominic Kinnear’s team is unbeaten in 34 contests (in all competitions) at home. One more and they no longer share the league mark; they will own it. The record-setter could come April 14 at BBVA against Chicago. Of course, a meeting with Portland up in Oregon is up first on Saturday.
1. LA Galaxy – Remember this name (if you haven’t already): Jose Villarreal (pictured above). The young forward has already left a mark on the champs’ 2013 season, striking spectacularly in stoppage time Saturday to help his team split the points in Toronto. Oh, and Landon Donovan is back. Or maybe you heard. Bruce Arena’s team will need him in this CONCACAF Champions League semifinal series starting this week.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Second time around, Dunga will lead Brazil’s new era.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:51 AM EDT
James is officially a Real Madrid player.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
Douglas Costa: “We all run a deadly risk if we are in the region.”
Jul 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Will the Colombian winger be heading to Old Trafford this summer?
Jul 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
23-year-old will complete his $107 million move and be introduced at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
A Davies-for-Sigurdsson swap and the purchase of the Ecudorian winger will give Garry Monk a glut of options in attacking midfield.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
While six World Cup stars will miss the tour, the Citizens still bring a talented squad to the U.S.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
The Spanish midfielder is expected to return to Spain this week to finalize his departure from the club.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Honduran midfielder will miss six to eight months.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Group is pushing for a $160-$200 million venue, claiming to be on MLS’s “short list.”
Jul 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
The 17-year-old potential U.S. international played along side Aaron Ramsey and About Diaby on Saturday.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
How does a player who snared four goals in two games miss out? Robbie Keane came up just short.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The findings were due in late July, but will have to wait. Will Qatar and Russia hold onto their World Cup hosting duties?
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Those in New Jersey and Portland could see a whole lot of Julian Green in the next couple weeks.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Relive five of Stevie G’s best goals over his 14-year England career.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
An amusing video of NYC accents atop the US national anthem gives Arsenal a victory in viral video.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will Wazza take the armband from Stevie G? Not so fast, there are some other chaps to contemplate first…
Jul 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No goals for Americans south of the border, but there was plenty of actions as the 2014 Apertura took its first steps.
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 2
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 11
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 5
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10