Apr 3, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
If it’s a flashy goal — an overhead kick; a bomb from distance; or some fancy run that leaves defenders staring vacant space — we fawn over it for days. The virtues are obvious, but when the skills on display are more mundane — precise play; a threaded ball; a gently lifted shot — we clap in admiration and move on.
Not today. This goal deserves our attention, especially considering Real’s 3-0 victory will leave it overlooked.
A nice ball from Xabi Alonso finds Mesut Ozil cutting in front of the defense from the right. One touch to Karim Benzema, one touch back to Ozil, and the German playmaker has time to perfectly push a ball through a tight left channel for Cristiano Ronaldo. Fernando Muslera is in a no-win situation, with a sharp pass giving Ronaldo enough time to set up on his left and chip far post.
It’s not much that any part of that play was particularly remarkable. It was the precision, as if it were executed exactly as you’d draw it up. It was the mundane mastery of Ozil, and it was the preternatural ease of Ronaldo’s finish.
It was the perfect harbinger of an easy day at Real Madrid’s office.
Here are the day’s highlights, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0