Apr 3, 2013, 7:04 PM EST
If it’s a flashy goal — an overhead kick; a bomb from distance; or some fancy run that leaves defenders staring vacant space — we fawn over it for days. The virtues are obvious, but when the skills on display are more mundane — precise play; a threaded ball; a gently lifted shot — we clap in admiration and move on.
Not today. This goal deserves our attention, especially considering Real’s 3-0 victory will leave it overlooked.
A nice ball from Xabi Alonso finds Mesut Ozil cutting in front of the defense from the right. One touch to Karim Benzema, one touch back to Ozil, and the German playmaker has time to perfectly push a ball through a tight left channel for Cristiano Ronaldo. Fernando Muslera is in a no-win situation, with a sharp pass giving Ronaldo enough time to set up on his left and chip far post.
It’s not much that any part of that play was particularly remarkable. It was the precision, as if it were executed exactly as you’d draw it up. It was the mundane mastery of Ozil, and it was the preternatural ease of Ronaldo’s finish.
It was the perfect harbinger of an easy day at Real Madrid’s office.
Here are the day’s highlights, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0