Apr 4, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
The reasonable person in me understands; the excitable soccer fan protests.
I cannot wait to see Kleberson get on the field for the Philadelphia Union – but it sounds like we may only get a little nibble rather than a full heaping helping of the Brazilian midfielder.
Union boss John Hackworth wants to protect the long-term interests, taking a conservative approach in working the man who was quite influential in Brazil’s 2002 World Cup triumph.
Beyond Michael Farfan, the club lacks some creativity. While Kleberson isn’t purely an attacking midfielder – he could probably handle the chores anywhere in Philly’s midfield – his skill and experience will certainly help the Union with the ball. Perhaps most importantly, he truly seems to want to be here. For a guy who is 33, having performed at some of the best clubs in Europe and Brazil, that’s no slam dunk. We tend to see it less in MLS these days, but “one final payday” syndrome always lurks.
The Union meets Columbus on Saturday in MLS Round 6. Hopefully, Hackworth sees some value in getting Kleberson on the field. Philadelphia’s talented young group could use some balance in the experience he adds.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear