Apr 4, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
The reasonable person in me understands; the excitable soccer fan protests.
I cannot wait to see Kleberson get on the field for the Philadelphia Union – but it sounds like we may only get a little nibble rather than a full heaping helping of the Brazilian midfielder.
Union boss John Hackworth wants to protect the long-term interests, taking a conservative approach in working the man who was quite influential in Brazil’s 2002 World Cup triumph.
Beyond Michael Farfan, the club lacks some creativity. While Kleberson isn’t purely an attacking midfielder – he could probably handle the chores anywhere in Philly’s midfield – his skill and experience will certainly help the Union with the ball. Perhaps most importantly, he truly seems to want to be here. For a guy who is 33, having performed at some of the best clubs in Europe and Brazil, that’s no slam dunk. We tend to see it less in MLS these days, but “one final payday” syndrome always lurks.
The Union meets Columbus on Saturday in MLS Round 6. Hopefully, Hackworth sees some value in getting Kleberson on the field. Philadelphia’s talented young group could use some balance in the experience he adds.
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)