Apr 4, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
In yet another great sign for U.S. Soccer and the popularity of the Premier League in America, the post-season friendly between Manchester City and Chelsea in St. Louis has sold out within 20 minutes of going on sale.
The match will take place on May 23rd at Busch Stadium, home of the St. Louis Cardinals. With the sell out, the 46,861 capacity stadium is guaranteed to be a phenomenal atmosphere with Vicki Bryant, vice president of event services and merchandising for Cardinals, buzzing: “This event is the hottest ticket in St Louis. It is like a ticket to game seven of the World Series!”
City’s chief commercial and operating officer, Tom Glick, was equally impressed by the stateside support. “We believe in US soccer and we know how much passion the fans in North America have for the beautiful game. The club is committed to giving fans across the world the opportunity to get close to Manchester City FC.”
Whereas preseason tours to the U.S. have become something of a pilgrimage for Premier League clubs over the last 20 years, the decision of City and Chelsea to access the market with an end-of-season trip is an interesting play. As the match takes place merely four days following the conclusion of the Premier League season, players will be in peak form. That form, however, may be hampered by the players (much deserved) need to unwind following a long, arduous Premier League season.
And by “unwind” I mean drink a TON of beers.
Enjoy the party, St. Louis!
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5