The drama has ended!!! Yaya Toure re-signs with Manchester City

Apr 4, 2013, 12:58 PM EST

Manchester City v Newcastle United - Premier League Getty Images

Exactly two weeks since Yaya Toure’s agent announced that his client felt disrespected by Manchester City and believed the club no longer wanted him, the incredible has happened. You guessed it, Toure put pen to paper today on a new four year deal to stay at the Etihad.

As compensation for the 29 year old’s services, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan will reportedly pay the Ivorian a cool $333,000/£220,000 a week.

Yes, my friends, that is a ton of moolah. That’s the kind of moolah that is a real game changer. That’s the kind of moolah that – dare I say it – makes one think that maybe, just maybe, Yaya Toure is all about the moolah.

I mean, what about all that noise Toure made over wanting to play with his brother, Kolo, who will inevitably be leaving City this summer?

“This is where I want to be,” Toure announced on City’s official website. “When I first arrived at City every time I went to sleep I would dream about us winning something; now it is about us being the best team in whatever competition we take part in.”

Awww, that’s so sweet, Yaya!

But what about Toure’s dream of finishing his career at Barcelona?

“I will never forget how I have been treated here by the fans, the club and the owners and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to finish my career as a Manchester City player.

“I want to continue winning titles and trophies and continue to make history. I have enjoyed all of my time here and can’t wait for the next chapter. This is an incredible club to be part of with fans that support a team to the end whatever the circumstances.”

Awwwwww, Yaya, stop! If you keep trying to convince me of your dedication to everything other than money my eyes might just well up with tears!

Seriously though, folks. If we’ve seen this ‘I’m sad/I feel disrespected/The club doesn’t love me‘ move once (see Rooney, Wayne), we’ve seen it a million times. Yaya Toure isn’t a bad dude. I like Yaya Toure. Because at the end of the day footballers are just like you and me – they want to make the most money possible.

But this whole charade of creating false drama to gain contractual leverage needs to beat it.

World football needs more Benoit Assou-Ekotto’s who just tell it like it is.

Latest Posts
  1. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

2. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

3. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

4. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

5. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

6. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

7. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

8. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

9. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

10. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

11. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

12. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

13. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

14. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

15. At The Half – Arsenal 1-0 Dortmund: Sanogo’s strike the difference

Nov 26, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League

Good start for the Arsenal, scoring early through Yaya Sanogo.

16. Pochettino wants more rest between European and Premier League matches

Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Tottenham Hotspur FC Training and Press Conference Getty Images

As Tottenham continue to struggle, Mauricio Pochettino believes his team needs more rest between competitions.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday