The drama has ended!!! Yaya Toure re-signs with Manchester City

Apr 4, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT

Manchester City v Newcastle United - Premier League Getty Images

Exactly two weeks since Yaya Toure’s agent announced that his client felt disrespected by Manchester City and believed the club no longer wanted him, the incredible has happened. You guessed it, Toure put pen to paper today on a new four year deal to stay at the Etihad.

As compensation for the 29 year old’s services, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan will reportedly pay the Ivorian a cool $333,000/£220,000 a week.

Yes, my friends, that is a ton of moolah. That’s the kind of moolah that is a real game changer. That’s the kind of moolah that – dare I say it – makes one think that maybe, just maybe, Yaya Toure is all about the moolah.

I mean, what about all that noise Toure made over wanting to play with his brother, Kolo, who will inevitably be leaving City this summer?

“This is where I want to be,” Toure announced on City’s official website. “When I first arrived at City every time I went to sleep I would dream about us winning something; now it is about us being the best team in whatever competition we take part in.”

Awww, that’s so sweet, Yaya!

But what about Toure’s dream of finishing his career at Barcelona?

“I will never forget how I have been treated here by the fans, the club and the owners and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to finish my career as a Manchester City player.

“I want to continue winning titles and trophies and continue to make history. I have enjoyed all of my time here and can’t wait for the next chapter. This is an incredible club to be part of with fans that support a team to the end whatever the circumstances.”

Awwwwww, Yaya, stop! If you keep trying to convince me of your dedication to everything other than money my eyes might just well up with tears!

Seriously though, folks. If we’ve seen this ‘I’m sad/I feel disrespected/The club doesn’t love me‘ move once (see Rooney, Wayne), we’ve seen it a million times. Yaya Toure isn’t a bad dude. I like Yaya Toure. Because at the end of the day footballers are just like you and me – they want to make the most money possible.

But this whole charade of creating false drama to gain contractual leverage needs to beat it.

World football needs more Benoit Assou-Ekotto’s who just tell it like it is.

Latest Posts
  1. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

2. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

3. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

4. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

5. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

6. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

7. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

8. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

9. Michel Platini denies making ebola comments which angered African Confederation

Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT

Platini Getty Images

The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.

10. Setting the scene at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League

Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID

Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

11. FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League returns for Wednesday slate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Ronaldo Getty Images

With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?

12. Robinho being investigated for sexually assaulting teenager

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Robinho Getty Images

This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.

13. David Villa’s time in Australia could be up already

Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Villa Getty Images

NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.

14. WATCH: Geoff Cameron says he’s fighting for a central position

Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Cameron Getty Images

Now that he’s back from a hernia problem, the American told Stoke’s YouTube channel that he is no longer a right-back and the club is aware of where he wants to play.

15. Men in Blazers podcast: Whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, Klinsmann-Garber, plus Josh Lambo

Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo gain whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, and the Jurgen Klinsmann-Don Garber saga.

16. Portland Timbers out of CONCACAF CL after loss in Honduras

Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

TimbersOlimpia Getty Images

The MLS side was eliminated from group stage play on an away goals tiebreaker as Honduran side Olimpia goes through.

17. FA investigating racial abuse in Championship match

Oct 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT

BellusciJerome Getty Images

Norwich striker Cameron Jerome complained to Mark Clattenburg that a Leeds player was racially abusing him, and the matter is being investigated.

18. Podolski to speak to Wenger, Arsenal about his future

Oct 22, 2014, 7:46 AM EDT

Podolski Getty Images

Arsenal’s energetic German winger loves the club, but admitted he can’t sit on the bench forever.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?