Apr 5, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Cheerful news, Tottenham fans: your star player’s injury isn’t as bad as initially feared. Far from it.
The rampant winger was carried off on a stretcher in the closing moments of yesterday’s 2-2 Europa League draw with Basel (or Basle, or however you’d like to spell the Swiss club). Spurs said in a statement today that Bale has sprained ankle ligaments and is expected to miss only two weeks.
The club can confirm that Gareth Bale (sprained ankle ligaments), William Gallas (calf strain) and Aaron Lennon (soft tissue contusion below the knee) all underwent scans today (Friday) after being forced off with injuries during our Europa League quarter-final first leg draw with Basel last night.
The results of these scans have indicated that all three players are expected to return to training within two weeks.
That’s quite a result considering how alarming the photos looked as they captured the moment David Degen trod on his foot.
The Welsh star is expected to miss Sunday’s Premier League game against Everton and the return quarter-final fixture against Basel next Thursday. But all being well, he’ll be back for the big game against Manchester City on April 21 as Tottenham seek to claim a Champions League berth. And finish above Arsenal.
As the Telegraph points out, Spurs would be experiencng a much less exciting campaign without him…
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes