Apr 6, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Columbus might have a little something going this year. Might.
The goalkeeping and defense are strong. The midfield is improved. And with esteemed playmaker Federico Highlights mentoring some impressive young talent around him, there’s quite a bit to like about the men in yellow.
On the other hand, draws at home just aren’t going to get it done.
Last week’s swell road win over D.C. United would stand a lot taller today if it weren’t sandwiched around ties in Ohio, one to an injury depleted San Jose and another one to a very young (although quite feisty) Philadelphia side.
Robert Warzycha’s Crew needed to rally for a second half equalizer for Saturday’s 1-1 draw with the Union at Crew Stadium.
Dominic Oduro supplied the Crew’s second-half equalizer, making Columbus manager Robert Warzycha look good for one somewhat surprising lineup choice. Costa Rican international Jairo Arrieta was available again following international duty in his country’s efforts to book passage into Brazil 2014. But Oduro got the start at striker in the Crew’s 4-2-3-1.
Arrieta did come on at halftime, with Oduro shuttled out to the right wing.
Here is the complete highlight package from Saturday’s contest at Crew Stadium:
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 4
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014