Apr 6, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
There are plenty of heroes to go around as Colorado, easily the most injury-depleted MLS side so far in 2013, collected their first win of the young season.
But do any of them have a story like rookie goalkeeper Clinton Irwin?
A little over three weeks ago, the very best Colorado Rapids’ supporters could have tripped over Irwin and not recognized the man. Why would they? He was a rookie draft pick out of Elon University, a tiny school in North Carolina. He was even a late preseason signing.
But when Matt Pickens, the longtime incumbent in Rapids goal, broke his arm on March 16, Irwin got the call.
Four games into his MLS career and Irwin has allowed just four goals. His first career shutout came Saturday as the Rapids held off Alvaro Saborio and Real Salt Lake, taking a big step toward swiping the Rocky Mountain Cup away from its current Utah address.
The night’s biggest play came in the first half, when Irwin guessed correctly and did just enough to push Saborio’s penalty kick onto the post and away from danger.
Irwin’s shutout and the Rapids’ initial win of 2013 needed some luck along the way. Saborio missed on three uncontested headers, including two from inside the six. On another night, the Costa Rican international might have contributed two or three goals.
But this was no other night – and Irwin’s is no other story.
Here are highlights from Saturday’s 1-0 Rapids win at Dicks Sporting Goods Park.
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"