Apr 6, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
I always say that when players foul inside the penalty area, even if it’s just rates as a mere misdemeanor offense, they are providing opportunity for a big penalty kick decision.
That said, Colorado Rapids’ rookie Dillon Powers’ “foul,” such that it was in Saturday’s first half against Real Salt Lake, was the softest of offenses.
Powers (such a hero last week with his wonderful, powerful strike in against Portland) did make contact with Kyle Beckerman as a corner kick fell toward the RSL midfielder. But if this is a penalty kick, as referee Chris Penso adjudged, then there are 6-10 PKs a match in any MLS contest – on each side!
See for yourself.
(Before the rage and indignation get too far out of control, however, know that Rapids’ rookie goalkeeper Clinton Irwin saved Alvaro Saborio’s spot shot – so no harm in the end, I suppose.)
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"