Apr 7, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
There was a time when Joe Cannon was the gold standard for Major League Soccer goalkeepers. That was back in Colorado days, then for a season at Los Angeles and then up the coast for San Jose as the American made the Western Conference stops.
Cannon has long been lapped on the rankings of MLS goalkeepers. He hasn’t even the solid No. 1 for some if his three years in Vancouver.
But the man can still clearly dig up show-stopper or two. Just watch the work at the end from Saturday as his Whitecaps held on to a 1-1 draw at Buck Shaw Stadium, bravely preventing San Jose from doing what San Jose does so often: snatch the late, late game-winner.
In all honesty, a couple of the stops perhaps weren’t even Cannon; it’s hard to tell in the rapid-firing of it all whether Cannon or a defender turned away a couple of these point-blank numbers. Still, fun to watch it all.
Cannon and Co. getting it done in stoppage time, preventing the late equalizer to split the points in Northern California:
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0