Apr 7, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
There was a time when Joe Cannon was the gold standard for Major League Soccer goalkeepers. That was back in Colorado days, then for a season at Los Angeles and then up the coast for San Jose as the American made the Western Conference stops.
Cannon has long been lapped on the rankings of MLS goalkeepers. He hasn’t even the solid No. 1 for some if his three years in Vancouver.
But the man can still clearly dig up show-stopper or two. Just watch the work at the end from Saturday as his Whitecaps held on to a 1-1 draw at Buck Shaw Stadium, bravely preventing San Jose from doing what San Jose does so often: snatch the late, late game-winner.
In all honesty, a couple of the stops perhaps weren’t even Cannon; it’s hard to tell in the rapid-firing of it all whether Cannon or a defender turned away a couple of these point-blank numbers. Still, fun to watch it all.
Cannon and Co. getting it done in stoppage time, preventing the late equalizer to split the points in Northern California:
- Julian Green completes loan move to Hamburg 0
- Premier League Playback – Deadline Day madness, Chelsea’s ‘killers,’ Liverpool’s fluid-three 2
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 1
- Reports: Manchester United nearing cut-price loan for Falcao 7
- Toronto FC fire Ryan Nelsen thanks to disappointing position and disparaging comments 1
- Leicester City 1-1 Arsenal: Home side holds strong for draw 3