Apr 8, 2013, 9:37 AM EST
With home matches against Fulham and Sunderland ahead for relegation-threatened Aston Villa, Paul Lambert’s young men from Villa Park may have seen Saturday’s match at Stoke City as one where “bonus” points could be earned.
Sure enough, they are standing on deck beneath the “Mission Accomplished” banner this morning. That’s spectacular news for U.S. international Brad Guzan (pictured at right), whose team crept a little closer to surviving this season of agonizing growing pains.
Unfortunately, it came at the expense of Stoke City, which includes its own pair of U.S. internationals. Guzan started in Villa goal, as always, in the team’s 3-1 win at the Britannia.
Geoff Cameron was at his usual spot for Stoke, at right back. Brek Shea did not make the 18-man game-day roster.
Clint Dempsey received mixed reviews as he nominally replaced (the virtually irreplaceable) Gareth Bale in Spurs’ lineup for a 2-2 draw with Everton at White Hart Lane. Dempsey started on the right side of Andre Villas-Boas’ 4-1-4-1 tactical arrangement. As for Tottenham individual player ratings, this one had more favorable things to say about Dempsey’s afternoon than this one from a lifelong Spurs fans who called Dempsey “largely ineffective.”
Tim Howard was in Everton goal that one, of course.
Jermaine Johnson’s double may have been the talker for Sheffield Wednesday in a huge 3-2 win over Blackburn that helps vent some relegation pressure from the team that recovering American midfielder Stuart Holden currently calls home. Of course, all most of us care about is that Holden got 59 minutes in his team’s 3-2 victory at the infamous Hillsborough ground. He remains on loan for Wednesday until April 24.
Finally, encouraging news from Germany, where two U.S. outside backs put in full 90-minute shifts for their teams. Steve Cherundolo went the distance in Hannover’s scoreless draw with Stuttgart. And Timothy Chandler played all 90 for Nurnberg in a 2-1 victory over Mainz.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 19
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)